Is Roon working on a 2.0 version?

A big new release is always coming, but not on Sept 21.

How so? It works just fine. We also depict a Google Home Max which only works via Chromecast.

Keen eye you’ve got there :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I’m gutted, I’ve been counting down the days for a fresh release to get my teeth into.

2 Likes

Roon has gone from 1.0 to 1.7 since June 2015 in 0.1 increments. I don’t see why they would change that protocol now. Next update should be 1.8. On the other hand, why the heck does it matter?

1 Like

For me Roon through AirPlay is not really the Roon experience, no Hires. For this just works fine is therefore not my experience. Just works, maybe. What would be the ad Devialet could then use that the Phantoms just work fine with Roon? Obviously not Roon ready. Would ‚works fine with Roon’ then be ok on their ads, or website?

2 Likes

All I know is the new release better have diagonal scrolling :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Or, circular.

5 Likes

How about Cover Flow like ye olde iTunes? Then we can all get dizzy sick endlessly scrolling through our collections! :wink:

3 Likes

Version 1.10 comes after 1.9.
2.0 could be the next release or it could never come.

Assuming Roon uses the fairly universal semantic versioning, 2.0 would be a major release meaning the software is not backwards compatible with devices or other software using 1.x APIs.

2 Likes

For what it’s worth, I think the old site explained the architecture a lot more clearly than the new site. The diagrams were much clearer.

1 Like

Never disregard the power of marketing. A “Roon 2.0” reads and plays way better in a press release and the subsequent coverage than a mere “v1.8”.

1 Like

Discography would be fantastic! :grin:
H

1 Like

It’s very simple, in computer science we use (I’m a developer) the following nomenclature

X.Y.Z

X = major version
Y = minor version
Z = patch version

If Roon undergoes a very important evolution, it will move to 2.0 (new “major” version).
If it’s just a few additions here and there, this will be the 1.8

3 Likes

i can’t wait…

1 Like

I wouldnt bet

Yes, going from 1.7 to 2.0 would not be “skipping” anything it would be releasing something of major difference.

I definitely think this is around the corner since some things in Roon needs to be reconsidered and put together in a different fashion. As always in product development. Features gets added, some things are considered more crustal than others and gets more attention. Suddenly the whole is a bit unevenly shaped and that’s when you start reimagining your product from tech to infrastructure to design. That would be something like a 2.0.

1 Like

Well, what is it? Is it T-4 days? Is Danny being mis-directional? I imagine NOT :anguished: . Too late and I’ve already had a :cocktail:. Que sera, Sera. :+1:

1 Like

I am sure they are working on a 2.0 but when that actually arrives is unknown and there may well be other iterations before it.

1 Like

I’m yet to see that Roon operates along those lines. What I see is that they have their so-called ‘vision’ and they will deliver whatever they feel meets that objective without veering, despite likely 1000’s of worthy suggestions. Further, they have a policy of not commenting along those lines, so users are none the wiser.

I’m not saying that’s a good or a bad thing, just my impression of the way they operate.

People regularly talk about subscription numbers (@ ~100k), but infrequently about sales of Nuclei, the licensing fee for Roon ready devices and so on. For all we know a Roon V2 is a very long way off. Notwithstanding, whatever number chosen for the next upgrade they are only just numbers and perhaps any number along the way to here could have been called V2.

Cheers!

4 Likes

Theres also a concerts section for chris lowe on the webpage. Probably next to discography which we cant see due to the superposed image

I really hope the release a 2.0 version fast.
The app is running good on pc/Mac and quite ok on iPad (with some visuell issues) but on my iPhone 11 Pro it’s actually a nightmare. You just see that the design and UX was not made for smartphones and on top I have regular crashes.

1 Like