Is there a Web GUI with the Windows version of Roon server

Hello all,

I recently had a failure of my Nucleus+ and I am away from my principle residence where my Nucleus+ normally lives. I can use ARC while I am away and I really miss having access to all my Roon music.

I happen to have a fanless Windows device running on my remote network so I installed the Roon server on the that Windows device, restored from the backup, and connected it to my NAS music share. I am back in business! I must say, the Roon backup works very, very, well. Once I had the idea to run Roon on the Windows machine I was up and running in no time.

There is one thing I can seem to sort… Does the Windows version of the Roon server have a web gui? I don’t see it in the settings, and pointing a web browser to the Windows PC running Roon does not work.

This is a temporary thing until I figure out what to do with the failed Nucleus+. I will have to repair it or replace it with a NUC running ROCK. But I would like to be able to remotely monitor and control the Roon server via the web gui like I could with the Nucleus+.

Any information is appreciated.

No it doesn’t. But the web GUI of the Nucleus can’t do much and nothing you can’t do with a remote connection to the Windows machine, which you seem to have?

My Nucleus+ was connected to my Control4 system. The Control4 has a web browser and I have it pointed to the Nucleus Web GUI. Good for rebooting the server when required.

Not a show stopper, but it will likely make my next decision regarding the Nucleus easier.

Thanks!

1 Like

@MvB, one other note to add to @Suedkiez. On Windows, the RoonServer.exe application mirrors the identical funcationality of the Nucleus, while the Roon.exe application now is only the GUI front-end to Roon (effectively a Roon Remote, even when installed on the same PC as Roon Server).

1 Like

They split Server and Desktop recently. You need to download and install Roon Desktop on the same machine. When you start Roon Desktop it will connect to the local server on the local machine. That’s your “GUI”.

There is no such thing as the basic Nucleus Web GUI with a Windows based server install, as others have commented already.
You will have to find other ways of how to get such functionality, and I’m guessing, that with one of your Room remote devices you’ll be able to Remote-Desktop into that machine to do your housekeeping.

However, did you also use the Control 4 Roon interface to interact with what’s played where?
If so, that’s been made available to other OS‘s than Roon Nucleus and you‘ll find details regarding getting it to work here.

That said, and if you’re ready for some DIY, replace whatever’s broken in your Nucleus, install ROCK yourself, and support will be able to remotely restore genuine Nucleus functionalities for you.

Yes. The Control4 interface works as it did before. I can browse and play music from Roon via the Control4 interface. One of the reasons I originally purchased the Nucleus+ hardware (in 2019) was for the Control4 integration. I understand that it is no longer Nucleus restricted which means I can go the ROCK/NUC route in the future.

What is currently missing is that I also had the Control4 web browser pointed to the web gui which would allow an easy interface to the status page of the server and if a reboot was required, it could be done via the Control4 touch panel vs having to connect a computer. It was just a nice feature but not a show stopper.

Repairing the Nucleus+ or replace with a NUC and ROCK is exactly my plan. Running Roon on Windows is just a temporary solution that I could do remotely because I have a Windows machine running on my remote network and I had backups of Roon there as well. I was actually surprised at how easy it was to get it setup and configured over a remote desktop connection.

Thanks for your reply.

Mostly. Hence my question about the web GUI which is what is different…

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.