Is there a well-designed fanless NUC enclosure out there?

good things come at a price, I suppose… nice machine!

This thing looks mean and dangerous :smile:
Love it

The “Market” for NUC Cases shrinked Since Intel quit the Option of buying the Nuc´s Hardware without the Case. I think the most People wouldn´t take their Brand New NUC apart and loose the Warrenty and maybe damage it.

Does that matter so much to the computer DIY crowd? Transplanting a board isn’t that hard!

Intel has this annoying habit of putting the ports in different places on each board. This makes it almost impossible to make one case to fit all NUC boards.

Even the CPUs are in different locations so you need to have a movable heatsink.

Yep, that is really annoying. I think the Mainboards of the 5th Gen that where in Sale didn´t sold enough Single Units so there where discontinued. I read that your able to buy them to date in Batches of 10 for Industrial purposes.

The IO changeing around is probably an effect of the same not selling enough Boards Thing, in the Standart Enclousure no one cares where the IO is as long as its there.

The NUC6i7KYK in the 6th Gen with the Skull Case was totally of Standard, i didnt understand that because that was for the PC Community probably the most interesting.

@TopQuark

I saw the Cirrus Nimbini a few years ago and fell in love, price be damned.
But at the time they said they couldn’t sell to the U.S. because of the cost of certification. Don’t know if that has changed. It is often a burden for small companies.

And not just in audio. I had a friend with a company that made automotive glass. They made 56 versions of the rear view mirrors for one car model.

I got one of these

https://www.quietpc.com/sys-ultranuc-pro-6-fanless

You can configure it a lot, I am sure you could get it i3 without an OS, or with a linix distro.

Dang, its been discontinued already. Sorry.

Looks great. With a nice configuration, it’s rather dear.

http://www.simplynuc.com/nuc-products/

Click on “Fanless” near to top.

Those don’t appear to be ‘NUC’ machines (at least don’t seem to be using the ‘Intel NUC’ boards) - since the original post was referring to ROCK - it’s not sure how close these are to risk getting one before ROCK could be tested on it.

I finally give up on trying to get the current NUC and fanless case to match. I had cases custom milled out of a solid block of aluminium. That is what we are using now for the sonicTransporter i5.

Anyone tried the HDPLEX H5 2nd gen case?

It is a modular system inluding linear power supplies.

Hi @seagull I have just received one with a 200W LPS and I am going to commence building it over the next couple of weeks, time permitting.

I am using an ASUS H270I motherboard with an Intel Core i7 7700, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB M.2 SSD and 8 GB Corsair Vengeance Ram and a 1TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD.

Hopefully it all goes together nicely.

Mark

be really cool if there was a ROON and jelly fish logo on the power button available

1 Like

Haven’t tried it yet, but think the Innuos Zen Mini looks good, and they say it’s a ready-to-go RoonCore server. A touch pricey for £699, but it’s purpose-built for audio and includes CD burner and 1TB hard drive

Would be nice to see a photo :slight_smile:

Something like this perhaps?:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
I hope I haven’t infringed any copyright laws @danny

@wizardofoz are you Larry, it’s uncanny that you posted your remark just when I received my HDPlex.

4 Likes

One possible fly in the ointment of the Innuous Zen products is that they seem to only come with hard drives for storage - no SSD. Unless you have a small library, Roon really needs an SSD to hold its database for performance reasons…

HDplex is a very nice case. It’s vary large but you can have custom logos on the power button.