Is there any interest in a music files backup solution?

It is pretty crazy. Especially since I would have paid very good money for the service.

If it were up to me, I don’t need a Roon integrated backup solution. My ROCK makes a backup of the database on an external M.2 SATA SSD every day at 5:00 am. This backup is transferred daily via “Robocopy” to another, external SSD that is connected to my PC. My music files are also located there. These are also mirrored from there onto the rock via “Robocopy”. A cloud for data storage is out of the question for me.

I used to save the database on a USB stick. But its lifespan is obviously limited due to the large number of small files. After a year it was defective. The SSD has so far proven to be significantly more durable than any USB stick.

M.2 SATA SSD for Roon database backup.

You know, I think this topic would work better under “Nucleus” instead of “Roon Software”. Those who know enough to answer a question about backup probably have already found another solution which handles both music files and other precious data. I’d suggest that those who buy Nucleus for the convenience would be a more interesting target audience, even if you have to explain why backup is a value add.

1 Like

I prefer it here… it’s something we’d add to every platform, not just Nucleus or ROCK.

Whether it ends up in Roon or just be another piece of software is an open topic, but I’m positive that limiting it to Nucleus or ROCK would be a mistake.

Also, the amount of feedback here has been eye opening and got me thinking in new directions. It’s been very inspirational.

I hadn’t realised you were thinking in terms of not having your music on a hard drive, but just keeping it in the cloud. There’s absolutely no way I would consider trusting Roon with that kind of storage. All my documents, files, music and photos are in either OneDrive or iCloud, but selected folders are mirrored locally on different machines, and I still have local backups of the lot.

It’d be an option, not a requirement. I know I personally am very forward thinking on this front, and so are others… but not everyone, so it can’t be a requirement.

I only say forward because I think it’s where we are all headed eventually. Either at the time of universal 5G availability or maybe the generation after that, in-home vs in-cloud will be nearly identical for most use cases, and in-cloud is way more reliable, cheaper, and easier.

2 Likes

I’ve been using cloud storage for many years, I was an early adopter of Dropbox, though I’ve now moved to OneDrive with iCloud for photos. I have absolutely no dependencies on local storage; you could burn my house down or steal everything in it, and I could just buy or borrow any old computer and be back up and running in almost no time. But trust Roon to look after any data? No way! Your software is just too flaky. Maybe you could look at integrating with existing cloud services like the ones I mentioned. They have options as to whether files are mirrored locally or not, so folk would still be able to choose. And are close to rock solid. (famous last words).

funny…

https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/48830

sounds like you on these forums :slight_smile:

everyone has issues, and they have a lot more than we do.

anyway… it’s not wise in 2021 to build a niche service like this on top of your own disks and servers… the upfront cost is far too risky for a “feature” like this. You build on top someone’s reliable storage mechanism, and the value you bring is integration, ease of use, and accessibility. The “storage” is a solved problem that has been commoditized to tiny margins. The companies you speak of couldn’t even break even unless they have hundreds of thousands to millions of users.

Yes. I (and others) have long suggested a cloud locker for your own content as the only reasonable solution for remote access to your Roon library. But as someone that comes from the storage industry, you are stepping into a lot of quicksand, brother.

Why not start with something simple: matching your library with existing tracks in Qobuz and/or TIDAL for direct streaming access when using Roon Remote. Yes, I know there are tracks in people’s libraries that won’t match, but ignoring the weirdo classical box sets, et al., it’s mostly there.

However, this would include your customized meta data, playlists, and other organizational features (i.e. Roon meta data edits), but the actual PCM data would stream from Qobuz/TIDAL - at an appropriate bit rate for the connection without necessarily adding that track to your library (i.e. your local track would playback when at home).

For me, that would completely solve the Roon Remote requirement when at work and on the road.

Think about it…

already on the way. we already have the match data, as you can see with the “versions” area on an album details screen. The thing you want is transparent hand-off/unification/upgrades. That’s all Roon product stuff, not the matching – and that’s coming.

This would solve a bunch for me too, but i still have a ton of albums that dont exist on tidal/qobuz. some of my favorite albums of all time don’t exist on any streaming service :sob:

I’m starting to run into other issues now… i’m finding stuff on youtube that doesn’t exist anywhere else :exploding_head:

1 Like

Super great to read that… this was something else I ranted about, earlier, and I’m glad to see your team had the same idea.

A post was split to a new topic: Focus options are missing

Forward thinking? Aren’t you the one that told me the future was streaming from Qobuz and Tidal and that local copies of music was basically dead?

That’s why I wonder why you guys would put resources into this that would be better utilized fixing bugs and adding features that most people could use.

1 Like

My guess is the conversations involved dinosaurs? :slight_smile:

Are local files dead? No.

Not using streaming? Yah, that’s definitely not the future. Maybe that’s your misinterpretation of the dinosaur thread?

TIDAL/Qobuz/others lack many pieces of content. Right now that need is filled by Roon by combining streaming with those local copies of content sitting in your files. It doesn’t need to be local copies, it could be cloud copies, owned by you, not by streaming services.

2 Likes

I have some of that, as well. But, remember: Great is the Enemy of Good. This will be a fantastic step in the right direction.

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: IDrive is a great backup solution

Yes, I am interested in an online backup solution of my music.
I am now using Backblaze, so if the price would be in the same range as Backblaze I would consider using Roon to do this job.

Advantages could be that it is an easier to use solution and it’s a step to a mobile Roon solution. With these advantages in mind I would consider a backup solution from Roon.

I have local music files synced across two houses plus a large collection of old USB drives with parts of the collection. Main collection is on mirrored Stablebit which does allow file recovery just as an NTFS drive if half the mirror fails. But that wouldn’t stop a crypto attack.

I’d consider a reasonably priced automatic cloud solution.

No interest as other backup schemes exist. Backup is a very user specific thing and I’m sure that SOME people will not have a robust scheme implemented - in which case the option might be useful but it would surely just be piggybacking on another provider?

I’m not interested in a music file backup solution at all. My music files are already duplicated and backed up in multiple locations and with Tidal I am not buying any more music and adding to them so I have no need for music file backup at all these days