Is there any interest in a music files backup solution?

Yep, completely interested in this idea if it is still being kicked around.

1 Like

Double thumbs up, I have used SyncBack for years it just works :sunglasses:

1 Like

Agree 100%. While CD ripping in Roon OS has its issues, the UI, or lack of it, is pretty much what I’d like to see after an initial backup- attach a USB drive, and you’re done (obviously it would require a bit of setup).

1 Like

I just signed up for a Jottacloud account. They offer a 500GB free account which in my case is sufficient to back up my local library. Like several of us I tend to only buy albums that I really like and would miss if they were removed from Tidal or Qobuz. So thanks to R1200CL for his recommendation.

Thanks for the information. I’ve signed up for Jottacloud with their 500GB free service.

Hi. Can you expand on this? Do you somehow use SyncBack on Synology? Do you use it to sync content between your core (NUC or whatever) and some other machine?

Thanks.

Yes happy to.
My master music Library where I rip all my CDs is on a Windows PC. I use dbpoweramp for this and have cross platform licenses for Mac and Windows (sometimes when I have a lot of CDs to rip I use my Mac mini as well). This PC is also where I edit the Metadata using MP3Tag. Once I am happy with the results I use Syncback to synchronise the music from my PC to my Roon Core, my Synology (for Sonos and Plex) and a backup USB Drive attached to the PC at the same time.

I normally run a simulation first when it shows me what it will copy, update and delete so I can decide that I am happy with what it’s going to do (I once had a disaster of my own making which took weeks to put right.

I then have a monthly job on my Synology that syncs the whole drive to a second unit through RSync once a month, just to be double sure that I am in a good place.

It only takes one disaster like I had to make you paranoid that you do not have enough backups. Syncback has enough tools to make me feel safe with this process.

Thanks for explaining this. How do you sync from Windows to Synology. Are you mounting your Synology share(s) on your PC? Using Syncback Touch?

Looking at it more closely, I’m not sure it matters to me - it’s primarily a Windows solution and I have a mixed environment.

My workflow, sync, and backup strategies are a little different than yours but we (mostly) get to the same end state. I stopped bothering with local copies of my music many years ago. My masters are on my NAS – in years past, that used to be various generations of a home file server (and sometimes a domain controller, tape backup controller, and mail server :slight_smile: ). I just mount the shares. All of that gets backed up offsite to Azure with HyperBackup. I use Syncthing heavily for sync related stuff - it has an extremely steep learning curve but is very flexible.

There are two specific things I don’t have great solutions for. One is syncing between my NAS and my core when my core is on a ROCK-based NUC. The second is syncing my music library to an Android device. I’m still sort of curious if Syncback might help with either of those but looking at it more closely, I don’t really think it will.

I simply have the Synology on an SMB share and sync that way. That would work the same whether it was local files on windows or server to server. Syncback can store the passwords in it’s profiles, so even if you have low access user’s (as I do on Synology) and no passwords on the Rock server it works perfectly well.

Not going to be able to help get the music on Android, though I use PlexAmp and ARC for that. It will help sync your NAS to your Roon Core though, I think even the free version will help with that.

Synching is also a great tool :+1:t2:

Got it.

That’s what I feared. I’m in the M11 Plus camp - I’m managing to use Syncthing to sync my local library to a 1TB microSD card in the DAP. It works but there are issues because of the state of Syncthing on Android combined with the fact that the M11 runs Android 10. That’s probably already more than what you want to know but I’m looking for a better approach.

Syncback seems like a good tool. Syncthing is more of a lifestyle :slight_smile:

1 Like

I will be joining you here in the summer I think. Looking forward to it as well :grin:

1 Like

Jump into the pool…the water’s warm! Honestly - it’s a really delightful device.

I’ve had issues with Synology Drive sync related stuff that have kept me away from using it. This conversation got me thinking about it again. I just set enabled Synology Drive share sync for my music share and installed the Android client on my M11. I have a Synology account which is specific to this purpose - it has read-only access to my music share. I’m now syncing my library to the M11 using this strategy. It’s set up to do one-way sync only. This is working better than Syncthing - it’s handling permissions correctly and can sync to the Music folder on the sd card vs. Syncthing which could only write to it’s own app’s subfolder buried in “Data”. File this away for when you get your M11! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I use CarbonCopyCloner on my mac to backup my Nuc library via SMB on an external SSD - the SSD is then backup on Backblaze.
Does the trick for me.