Is there any way to mass convert WAV files to FLAC files through ROON?

Hello!

All my Local files are in WAV file format and are organized in multiple subfolders. Is there any way to have ROON converting the files to FLAC and transfer the metadata at the same time? I had tried this before via a batch file on my PC myself, but it doesn’t work and the ‘flac’-executable gives a warning due to the metadata during the conversion and isn’t very good at keeping the metadata. If ROON can’t do this, is there anything you could recommend to me that does the job?

Not in Roon, apart from deletion Roon does not modify the music files in anyway.

For transcoding I recommend the dBpowerAmp batch converter, it’s also good for re-coding from FLAC to FLAC to fix poorly formatted files.

4 Likes

Thank you! I will take a look at this.

1 Like

I tried it and it worked!

1 Like

Excellent news, glad to have been able to help.

1 Like

XLD for mac

1 Like

What did you gain?

Why?..I’m a MAC guy and always like to know about different set ups …

Sorry, I honestly don’t understand the Question.

XLD is a native mac app that can rip CDs and transcode to any format you’d care for. Additionally it can do sample rate / bit depth conversion and for that it uses SoX, possibly the best converter available. It also has nice features like profiles.

I use it for ripping CDs and transcoding between AIFF (my main lib is in this format) and FLAC (secondary transcoded copy I keep where all AIFF files are in FLAC, DSD are untouched). I also find it useful to transcode purchased files: Eg Qobuz - which I download as FLAC - I then transcode to AIFF for my main library, the one Roon uses.

Why AIFF? Many years ago there was chatter of WAV/AIFF sounding slightly better, possibly due to higher CPU load to uncompress FLAC. At the time I decided to go with AIFF, which is effectively WAV with metadata. Reason I keep a second version of the full library in FLAC is I might decide to move to that when I am running low on space, but not sure really, 8TB SSDs are cheaper these days.

2 Likes

Storage space and network bandwidth (smaller files)

Ah, that’s how the question was meant.

I think so :roll_eyes:

And FLAC files have built in CRCs, allowing one to do automated (batch) checking for whether one has any audio corruption. Comes in handy when one has hundreds of thousands of files. WAV and ALAC do not have this. Not sure about AIFF.

3 Likes

Well I don’t have 100’s of 1000s of files…I don’t even have the mentality for that…seems ridiculous on the surface…

Different strokes for different folks. :smirk:

3 Likes

That for sure Gary…though I always wonder if the files were in Vinyl or CD’s would you still have this many?

I have (still) about 5,000 CDs and maybe 200 vinyl albums. All the CDs are converted to FLAC and the actual CDs are stored away. I could play vinyl on my system, but haven’t in over 10 years. I’ve been buying music for about 60 years. Currently I don’t buy CDs unless that’s the only way to obtain the music. I like the ability to stream my music.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.