Is this all I need for hardware/software for a hifiberry endpoint?

@Steven_Mize thanks. I don’t see a 3b readily available without a bunch of useless stuff so I’ll stick with the 3.

Odd. I recently bought the same kit on amazon US with the 3B+ But I guess it was about $20 more.

Oh yeah found it. Ordered 3+

I don’t count myself as a hardware builder but I did rpI 3 , Digione and Riopeee

It just worked dead simple

Been working for 2 years never a blip

If my aging fingers can do it :grin:

@Mike_O_Neill good to hear son. Maybe I can pull it off. I built a rock after all.

Yes James you can do exactly that as Ropieee will allow adding multiple zones on the same RPi either HATs or USB DACs etc. Even add your Oppo if you like via USB

1 Like

So, if I wanted to plug my Dragonfly Cobalt into the Raspberry Pi USB port for headphone listening, should I get a Raspberry Pi 3B or 4?

rpi 4 has less issues with USB and LAN conflicts but creates more heat so you will want something like a flirc.tv case for it that will dissipate heat. ropieee is fine for you needs with a 1GB pi4. get the pi with the rip powersupply (USB-C) all up less than $100 I think including a microSD 16GB card

2 Likes

I would agree with others here that Ropiee is the way to go. It’s optimized for Room endpoint use. It auto-updates.

Yup. I’ll try ropieee

I ordered all this from Amazon for $82 including freight and tax. Thanks.

I’m going to build a device to use with my Dragonfly Cobalt and Sony headphones without having to plug the Dragonfly into my laptop. I have ethernet available if WIFI does not work well.

While Ethernet is always the better option WiFi can work well but may get unstable results as bitrates get higher.

I think I’ll probaby just use the nearby ethernet cable.

That’s what I would do if it is an option but having said that, my RPi has performed flawlessly over the last few weeks since I introduced it as my headphone amp endpoint. I’ve been pretty impressed with it.

If you want a plug and play option, use the link below for the Hifiberry Roon ready .img. Just write it to a sd card, plug it into the Rpi, turn it on and Roon discovers Hifiberry Digi+ on the network. No other installations needed. The .img is also auto updating when a new version gets available.

The blog post is old, but the link takes you to the latest .img version.

https://www.hifiberry.com/blog/new-roon-for-hifiberry-release/

Is there any reason not to go with Ropieee XL?

I can’t think of one, unless you exclusively run only roon.

1 Like

Do we need some sort of on-off switch?

No. You can generally just remove power, as it runs in ram, if you need to. There is an option to power down in the GUI, if you feel strongly about such things.

1 Like

I try to do a proper power down…you can save the powwerdown web page as a link and just whack that to shut it down, but I have more than 10 of these around the house and haven’t lost one yet to an instant plug pull or power outage.

In case you haven’t found it RoPieee Beginner's Guide Nathan’s doc is a great place to start with Ropieee