Is this forum going to the dogs?

The KBs are generally helpful, but often you’ll end up getting help in segments from those and other users. No doubt patience is required. Different users will chime in with things they’ll tried. Some work, some don’t…

Welcome to the forums.

As you observe, the internet can be a rough place for certain personalities. Some folks, rightly or wrongly, have gotten bruised and left. Some have done so by making a big deal about it (which also speaks to the personality part of things). But there are a lot of experienced users who continue to contribute. The party ain’t over.
I find the forum a really helpful place to learn how Roon is used. The diversity of viewpoints adds to the breadth of my understanding. But sometimes the edge cases of said diversity can be a little unpleasant.

2 Likes

The use case for roon has shifted over the life of the forum. Originally roon only worked on your local library, supported few devices and you had to be familiar with computers/networks to know of it and be able to use it.
Now with the streaming services and roon being more widely adopted by device manufacturers and hifi reviewers a whole new set of users have arrived. This less cohesive range of user types will inevitably lead to friction and cross purpose discussions.
I personally think the roon forums are a lot more polite than many others and the balance of moderation is about right.
We all get a bit hacked off now and then but most of the helpful people continue to be helpful.

1 Like

Hi,
Just adding a little clarity on this …

It’s not so much on the moderator, we try to be consistent and often discuss posts before taking any action. In this case your post was flagged by one moderator and actioned by another.

The decision to move or delete depends on the content of the Off Topic post and whether it merits a topic of its own or not. A post with only “PM Sent /10 Char” did not.

I know you did not like your post being moderated, no one does, including me … yes I’ve had some of my posts moderator as well but I’ve moved on from it.

There are times when a thread just naturally and reasonably takes a new course in the light of new information. As a thread develops it may not be that there is a single post that obviously belongs into a new thread at the time it was posted, despite that a post may be the obvious point for a new thread in hindsight.
Sometimes a post is off topic by content, but on topic by audience (ie it is very much targeted at those likely to be watching the thread into which it was posted, but will take a thread off its current topic maybe in the light of new information). That can be difficult for moderators to deal with, but they have a tool to easily do so which we do not - it the ability to edit and split after the fact allowing an audience target to be hit at the time and for overall flow to be maintained for later readers.

We have to understand that as well as keeping things civil, this is also an information repository about the use of Roon and related products and technologies. So the moderators in effect have the other job of keeping things focussed and concise within the limits of meandering conversation text for people reading many weeks, months or even years later.

We shouldn’t resent being moderated in such cases and instead be thankful for it.

It is easy and maybe natural to have the knee jerk reaction of why did they to do to me and get all defensive about it. They are not doing it to you, they are doing to a thread that you happen to have contributed to, to make whole easier to consume later for others with the benefit of hindsight that a poster may not have had at the time.

2 Likes

And sometimes we get moderated because we are being a git. I may have been moderated a few times…

3 Likes

There was a party?:frowning: Did I miss it?

1 Like

Yep. You missed it. It was a doozy. You were probably spending too much time at ‘MQA disappointing’ or ‘incessant ranting’.
It’s hard to keep caught up on all this stuff.

The PM/10 char message I sent to another member was meant for the exact purpose of keeping the garbage off the forum boards. It was a case of over-moderation. Feel free to call it whatever you want. I moved on too. I didn’t see it necessary to call you out by name, but since you feel the need to defend it openly, so be it. I was just making a point to @andybob that not all mods act alike. That is for sure.

You clearly haven’t moved on! Mods like all human beings vary in character and their reaction to certain matters. What matters is not what you think but that their colleagues were in agreement. You single out the person who you think picked on you but none of them disagree fundamentally with what he did. It seems like a well functioning mod team to me!
That said, I am still pissed I missed the party! I need to single out someone for missing me off the invite list!

@Henry_McLeod.

Didn’t I say that in Post 37 without naming names. The specific moderator decided to respond to Post 37 and “identify himself” in Post 45.

Maybe you should re-read the comments as shown. I didn’t call anybody out.

Thanks for the lecture.

I feel I’m getting the help I need from this forum, along with an occasional bit of humor and “what are you drinking now” fun. It’s easy enough to avoid (or leave) flame wars and such, if they don’t interest you.

1 Like

I think we all need to bear in mind, as well, that not everyone is given the gift of patience.

1 Like

…and with that, we bring to an end this episode of Roon Funk.

Stay tuned. New episodes at the drop of a hat.

or

Just a personal view / contribution to this thread… I also find that there have been posts and even threads with a strong critical / grumpy / aggressive tone but I have seen the Mods keeping a very nice balance and intervening when things get personal. There have been some posts that I read and …cringed. These personal jabs were subsequently and quickly moderated. Well done to the Mods for this.
Beyond this, I guess (no facts at my disposal, just impression) that Roon forum membership has expanded and that will probably bring in complaints from users who struggle with Roon. It is in a way … inevitable. Roon is not exactly plug and play and not everyone is as comfortable experimenting, swapping, resetting and the rest. Even Sonos with its famed ease of use, does attract a lot of angry (and sometimes uncomfortably personal) comments. Have a quick look at the forum and you will realise what I mean.
I think it is natural and normal that some people will express some strong criticism in the forum. As long as it does not get personal, I think it is ok and can even be useful.
Just a personal take and I fully respect the frustration some have expressed on this.

4 Likes

Thank you, for the most sensible post in this thread so-far.

1 Like

Nice post Yiannis.

Roons network discovery stuff is pretty good, some home networks on the other hand can either be not up to the task or unnecessarily complicated for whatever reason which isn’t really Roons fault - doesn’t make the complaints go away though.

1 Like