Is Tidal in trouble?

Well if they got in , there’s always a chance they got password info .
I have changed mine

As a recent lifetime subscriber I am obviously hoping Tidal survives. Roon without Tidal will make me regret moving to a lifetime subscription.

Don

5 Likes

Why? Am I that old school in purchasing music? I’d like to know what the Roon userbase looks like.

I own about 600 CD’s (converted to ALAC) and 400 vinyl albums but the variety and new music available in Tidal is amazing.

Using Roon with my purchased library is good but not nearly as valuable without Tidal. If I really love a new Tidal discovery I will purchase it.

5 Likes

Roon shows 3,643 albums, of which 1,877, just over half, are Tidal.
I do buy CDs and downloads, the most recent a week ago.
But in the last 12 months, Roon shows 125 local vs. 1,168 Tidal albums. The trend is inexorable.

2 Likes

Don555’s comment describes my music experience, too, almost to the number. Unfortunately most of my CD collection was digitized back in the lossy mp3 days, so I am debating whether to start re-ripping into lossless.

1 Like

I went through that process a couple of years ago.

Took me several months rip my CDs to FLAC. Worth it, IMO. And the results got me out of the iTunes ecosystem.

Just make a few hours a week of sittin’ and rippin’. You will be glad you did, eventually!

1 Like

My advice is based on ‘How do you eat an Elephant?’

Do it in small bursts and once it’s done , you will be pleased you’ve done it.

Back up, back up, back up… enjoy😎

3 Likes

Same here…reripped my entire collection some years ago when I bought a Logitech Touch. It took a few weeks, but was worth it in the end.

2 Likes

Oh you just have to do it. I was the same but re ripped my whole collection. It took a good while but I did it whilst doing other stuff at the lap top. It’s well worth it

1 Like

Reripping is a waste of time when you can just add them from Tidal.

I find the conspiracy theories a waste of time, true or not. Why spend your life worrying about something that might never happen. I am sure a plan B will turn up if did.

6 Likes

Discussion between me and my partner’s daughter

"How do you eat an elephant?"

"I don't know"

"One bite at a time"

"BUT I'M A VEGETARIAN"
3 Likes

The rips sound slightly better? Maybe thats a reason.

If the rips sounds better it is because it is an old version not mastered for car/cheap headphones as supplied with iPhone etc.

I think the point is that users just want to be sure that the Roon team understands how much their integration with a full-collection streaming media service is critical to their value prop. Encouraging Roon to continue to seek those Plan Bs before there is a real issue.

4 Likes

If – and I do mean if – Tidal goes away, I want my library to be as complete as possible. So I did what you might call “a waste of time”, making sure I have my files and two complete backups of the music most important to me.

I hope Tidal is in for the long term, but you never know; it could go away.

If it happens, hope you are OK with mp3. I am not.

1 Like

Except, as you mention in a followup post, if you own much better mastered versions than what is on the streaming service. In my case, absolutely, my rips sound better than what is on Tidal, including the newer MQA versions. A better master trumps higher resolution, imho.

The other side of the coin is that streaming services can change their provided version and you cannot go back. One if the interesting secrets about Pono was that their downloads were not always the latest released masterings. Sometimes in their original “ingestion” period they selected a previous or even the original mastering for sale. Which was a boon for those who hated the 2007 Genesis remasters, as several albums on Pono were actually the 1990s remastered version.

The 2007 remixes…yeah. I tried listening to the 5.1 versions of one of those the other day. No sense of imaging, just the sound moving all around you. I swear that the vocals were in the rear channels on some of those mixes, and no, I don’t have my wiring messed up.

1 Like

I’m living in a country in Asia, it is living a few people in the Philippines. To test out Tidal, not possible, no price plan, not supported. Compared to Spotify, can be a member, does have a price plan. Yes I know sound quality is different. Tidal looks like a western world only supported product. Maybe that why they not getting more customers? So for me, Roon at home, Spotify when traveling, on the mobile.

Hi: I’m a new lifetime subscriber because I obviously love Roon. I’m not sure where to ask this question and I do realize that Roon is not going to divulge any business decisions they plan to make . I’m just hoping for some reassurance here if any is possible.
My question is this:
I think no one is oblivious to the various rumours and recent news swirling around Tidal. Tidal (or a similar higher res streaming service) is central to my decision to go lifetime. Since Tidal is the only supported streaming service currently on Roon, is there a possibility that someone from Roon could at least say there is a backup plan in place and that I should sleep soundly about having made this investment if something unfortunate were to happen to Tidal. Any reassurance would be appreciated however vague and non committal it may have to be !
Thanks in advance
Lee