Is Tidal in trouble?

Hi Lee,

I moved your post to this thread.

Cheers, Greg

Danny commented in December - rumours of Tidal being in trouble have been around long before December 2017.

If he’s not worried, we shouldn’t worry.

If you are worried about Tidal going down, @John_V said it best:

Rumors of tidal being in trouble due to finances or business model are one thing. Rumors of tidal being in trouble due to unscrupulous or maybe even illegal behavior are another thing completely. I sure hope these latest stories are false.

Accusations with no verified proof.

2 Likes

From the logs, if genuine as Tidal is claiming they are collected illegally, does to me say the are from Tidal. According to one of the persons checking them it doesn’t look correct when 250 people starting to listen to the same song from Beyonce at the same millisecond in time.

So I suppose the question should be: What should correct logs look like? And unless you are a forensic data analyst my presumption is you have no more idea than me or any other layperson. Let’s get this assessed properly by those that know and then make a judgement. Because we have leapt with both feet into the abyss too often recently due to faulty or worse falsified data. Take a breath and wait for the truth to emerge. Then we can vote with our feet if that is justified.

1 Like

The wishful thinking I read here is almost endearing, and how not to love the accusations against the “Norwegian fake news” (the failing Dagens Næringsliv! SAD!).

Tidal is up against Apple and Spotify, the two undisputed leaders, and a bunch of smaller others. While I don’t think there is much of a network effect in this business (more users attract more users; natural monopoly), there’s also no reason to think there will be many players in the long run.

Apart from the VERY small world of people interested in CD quality/MQA etc, no one ever mentions Tidal to me (maybe I need more friends!)

A niche service (only for classical, maybe, or jazz), with unparalleled selection, would stand a better chance of surviving than a generic one like Tidal.

Of course nobody really knows how much money the company is making (or losing), how committed are the owners in keeping it alive or if there are any deals in the works.

Having said all that (nod to Curb Your Enthusiasm), I hope the Roon guys are considering alternatives. I suspect that the “I-won’t-have-others-control-my-music” share of the market won’t take Roon very far.

Cheers

S

6 Likes

The Apple/Spotify tiers are not in competition with Tidal as they have free options or are tied to hardware in a way Tidal isn’t. Tidal is in competition with the rest. And with Qobuz wanting to launch in the North American territories about now, the timing of the Tidal bad news is interesting. Normally it happens in December just prior to the annual reports that normally prove those rumours incorrect. No one is wishful thinking here. Just not jumping to conclusions before properly verified information is out.

yes you are right.

The SQ obsessed are few and far between, and the general demographic would indicate that the genres of interest are Classical, Jazz, Acoustic, Folk, Blues, World, Experimental, and such. One of the things I like about Qobuz is the far more mature content it provides and pushes to the forefront with its recommendations.

Well, no. He’s got a perfectly legitimate and well caveated point.

I’m no expert on the market but I think Roon would have a pretty limited potential market if it didn’t also appeal to pop, rock, and country fans.

Maybe at some point streaming services will fragment by genre and Roon will offer integration with more than one. But I believe that Rock has to be represented fully.

Of course he does but that still requires proving one way or the other. That’s what happens in civilised society.

Roon Music Streaming Service by Neil Young!!:joy:

Why not Roon Music Streaming Service. Period.

1 Like

That’s exactly what he caveated! Jesus!

I was just kidding with the Neil Young since his Pono service is gone. But yes Roon music service !

You are right Mark, I’ll read more slowly in future!

1 Like

Hehe, those were covered by my catchall, “and such” James.

Imho, Tidal has a juvenile image, somehow, a sort of Teen and Tween vibe, with its press coverage, its promoted content and with the fronting and public bitching by Jayz and rivals. Certainly not (again only in my opinion) an image congruous with audiophiles seeking out the n’est plus ultra of sound quality with deep pockets to match.

Totally agree. But oddly their library, once you find a way to dig into it, is pretty broad. Yes there are omissions, but I have found a ton of stuff I consider relatively rare and having nothing to do with hip hop or pop.

Recently I became interested in alt-country and searched for several lists of the top alt-country albums of all time. I found two good lists, and Tidal had, I think, 73 of the 75 albums. That’s quite good - imagine trying to build a playlist to sample this genre and having to buy 75 albums just to see if you like the music.

Having confirmed I do, now I can buy the best of it. Already got several on vinyl!

BTW, Rock and Roll is never “and such” my friend!

1 Like

It’s an interesting thought and has been suggested before. I’ll edit in a link if I can find it. My recollection is that Danny responded to the effect that the Roon team had learned from experience to stick to their knitting.

3 Likes