Is Tidal in trouble?

I do not think Tidal will go away. Tidal still has a pretty large subscriber base that may be attractive to another entity. I could see Amazon buying a company like this to push their music services to another level. Basically, just buying the naming, software rights, etc.

I don’t know a single person who knows what Tidal is. That’s definitely not a reason to buy it.

3 Likes

The company would buy the current subscriber base, integrate it with their own (in the case of Amazon). Place the App on their devices, Prime Members, etc. Integrate with CD/download purchases on Amazon. Tidal does have a recognizable name, especially in the pop and hip hop genres. Amazon could have started their own “whole Foods”. Instead purchased an existing entity and integrated with their own services.

The Family plan is not hidden.Go to Settings, Manage Subscription and click on TIDAL Family.

I get the family plan for $5 per month :slight_smile:

@Mike_Ormerod TMR Vault subscriber?

Yes indeed :slight_smile: Which actually saves you money! $90 for 3 months of Tidal Family vs $60 TMR /qtr + $15 (3 x $5) for a total of $75 and you get some awesome vinyl!!

1 Like

Preaching to the choir! :wink:

1 Like

Same here. Great deal.

Well Spotify was testing hires(cd quality ) a few years ago and it just disappeared.

I agree it is a pipe dream . Only if Apple did it (another pipe dream ) would they come up with hires.

Interesting. I didn’t know about this. A quick question please? What res does one get with the Tidal subscription?

I have Tidal HiFi Family Plan at $5/month with the TMR discount. You get a coupon code when you sign up for the Vault (I believe it only works once so don’t cancel your Vault subscription!) and it gives you a 75% Tidal discount (if I recall correctly).

Yeah, you get 75% off whichever tier you choose.

Many thanks!

Thanks again to you and @CostasD. I dived in to TMR, but was puzzled by the offer. Does the quarterly subscription include vinyl, or does one have to buy records separately. I ask because the web page has a deadline – Jan 31, for this quarter’s offering. Thanks for help understanding this!

I am a TMR Vault member and with the membership you receive the quarterly package. The package always includes at least one vinyl 12 inch and then some extras, like a dvd, singles, etc.

I also take advantage of the $5 Tidal benefit.

1 Like

Oh great. So basically, a record for about $ 15 if one counts the discount on the Tidal subscription.

It includes a special quarterly release. The latest is Sleep Live at TMR. The deadline is there because they only make a limited number and no more. If a specific Vault release is not something you’re interested in, you can easily sell it on the secondary market. (I thought I would have to do that in the past; turns out I’m a Captain Beefheart fan!)

There’s no obligation to buy anything else but being a Vault member also gets you a sitewide discount and other perks. They’ve done free shows in the past for the first few hundred Vault members to show up (if you’re near Detroit or Nashville) and presales for Jack White tickets, among other perks.

That’s how I look at it. And generally, they are things you cannot get elsewhere, special colors, deep archive stuff, etc.

Awesome! Many thanks!