Issue connecting to Roon/Roon ARC Server app on Mac, works on Windows PC on same network (ref#MITTME)

Full form submission

What’s happening?

I'm having trouble connecting to Roon

What type of connection issue?

*None* of my remotes can connect

Unable to connect to Roon Server app on a Mac but runs fine on a windows PC on a same network

Additional information:
Running on a Mac M2 Max macOS 14.3.1

WIIM Pro on the network as well as Roon app on Android are no longer able to connect since end of Jan.
All were working as expected.
I was able to put together a PC and install Roon to test on the same network and ports and all work everywhere.

You are showing the ARC connectivity setup in your screenshot.

That’s broke as well.

@Ali_Nobarian, welcome to the Community. Your Mac screenshot confirms your Mac is running Roon (the Settings options would not appear otherwise). Does this screenshot show the Mac connected to the temporary PC Roon Server? If so, is the goal to run Roon Server on the M2 Mac?

Roon separated the Roon Server app from the Roon user interface. This occurred in November with Build 1353:

Can you explain some more about what is happening on your M2 Mac, as well as some additional information about your network?

That’s correct. I have both the Roon server and Roon app. they both see each other on the same Mac.

Are they both running on the same Mac, or is the PC still your temporary Roon Server? It is not clear yet.

Currently, It’s on the Windows.

When the Mac is running the Server, nothing is connecting and I get the 504 error.

Let’s separate the issues, first getting Roon working on the Mac and then ARC. Do you want the Mac to be the Roon Server? If so, what occurs if you start the Roon Server application on the Mac? First the Roon Server app, then the Roon app, the Roon app is the graphic interface to the Roon Server app.

My Mac was the Roon server before and everything was working but then it stopped. The WIIM Pro on the local network is unable to see the Mac Roon server.

Can you explain this statement, specifically “they both see each other on the same Mac”? If that is the case and you can get Roon Server working the your Mac, then it may be a network issue with that Mac. Can you provide details about your network?

I have only installed the Roon app which does have the server app, but again there has been no change on the network. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Roon the Mac with no success.

Can we work on the ARC, I think they may be related.

This is an awful way of support system for a sub based product… It kinda makes sense why you’d sell this in a box (Nucleus) and charge a high cost for it… Sure the support is still the same.

On the first point, to run Roon Server on the Mac you will need to start it on the Mac. Have you started Roon Server on the Mac? You won’t know it is running unless you check your Activity Monitor or connect to it with a Roon Remote running on a phone, tablet, that Mac, or another PC or Mac.

Regarding ARC, does the PC show the same error message as in your first post? I have not seen many Error 503 issues in other ARC-related questions. How is your network configured and are you running any VPNs anywhere in your network?

I guess Roon Server is just the Roon app now. When running on my Mac, Roon remote is unable to connect on my phone on the same network as well as the Roon Arc on the same phone either on the same network or over the cell.

I have gotten 504 errors and the screen shot in this instance showed 503… I believe it started after recent updates to the app.

I am tagging @support for assistance.

So, what now?

The Roon support staff is working through their queue and will reach out to you here.

Hi @Ali_Nobarian,

Thanks for writing in! Sorry to hear you’re having issues with Roon as well as Arc. As others have mentioned in the thread, we’ll need to first get your proper Roon Server setup before we can troubleshoot any arc issues.

I see from your account that you’re currently using a windows 10 as Roon Server. If you want your Mac to act as your Server, you’ll need to stop Roon Server running on windows 10, and turn on Roon Server on your Mac.

A good thing to note as well, Roon can only function within a single subnet in your local network. Please disable any secondary networks while we troubleshoot to ensure all your Roon devices can communicate with one another properly.

Thanks!

Switched to Mac.

Hey @Ali_Nobarian,

Thanks for the update! From your Mac server information, it seems you have not yet tested out my follow up suggestion:

Until you can confirm all your devices are functioning on the same subnet within your network, there will likely be continued connectivity issues.