Issue logging in to Roon app after server migration to QNAP NAS (ref#U5JWOB)

Full form submission

What’s happening?

· I'm having trouble logging in

Where are you having trouble logging in?

· I can't log into the Roon app

Describe the issue

I recently migrated my server from MacOS to a QNAP NAS. After making backups and installing RoonServer on the QNAP, I re-named the database folders on my Mac Library and deleted and reinstalled Roon. I connected to the new QNAP server instance and restored my latest backup (all prior to logging in). Once restored, I clicked re-launch and was able to connect to the QNAP server again and then was prompted to sign back into Roon. It launched the browser, I signed in and it re-opened the Roon app, the Roon logo spun for a moment saying "Logging In", then disappeared and nothing happened. I was still left with the log-in page.

I tried a number of troubleshooting steps, including disabling my VPN, Firewall and AdGuard on my Mac, completely deleting all Roon folders from my Mac's Library and re-installing the app, deleting and reinstalling the new server instance on the QNAP, restoring from a week old backup, clearing all log-ins from my Roon account, re-setting my password and enabling MFA. I also tried all of this from my Windows laptop. No matter what I did I had the same experience when trying to log-in.

Everything seams to go smoothly in the process up until the log-in issue, however, the only odd thing that occurred was that prior to restoring from backup, the name of my QNAP NAS was shown for the discovered server when it was freshly installed, but after restoring from backup, the name appeared as a series of question mark icons (�). Not sure if this is of any importance, but figured I would mention it.

Hey @Ronald_Tracey,

Thanks for taking the time to write in, it’s good to see you on community again! Sorry to hear its an issue that prompted your recent post.

I’m seeing this as well from your account page, you can typically edit the name of your Roon Server by heading to Roon Settings>Setup>Roon Server Name

While I don’t think it has anything to do with your login issue, it’s certainly a worthy thing to take note of!

It looks like you’re currently using the Mac as your server, could you please reproduce the login loop issue and share the specific date and time? From there, we can enable diagnostics for the NAS when running Roon Server, and should be able to take a closer look.

I also would like to confirm: are all of your devices running Roon on the same local subnet within your network? Roon isn’t going to be able to function across multiple subnets, unfortunately. I’d see about creating as simple of a network setup as possible, and see if your issue still persists.

Lastly, does the same issue happen across multiple web browsers?

Hey @benjamin ,

Thank you for the reply! Yes, unfortunate to have to post about an issue after all these years. I’ve migrated my server a couple times before with no issues.

Regarding your last question, yes, all of my devices are running on the same subnet.

I just did a fresh install of RoonServer on my NAS and restored the latest backup today (4/30/24) and got the login loop at 2:04 PM EST using Firefox this time, instead of Chrome.

I will say, after doing some more troubleshooting this past week - I am concerned that the question marks in the server name after restore may not be the issue, but possibly a symptom of bad backup(s)? I tried connecting to my NAS with a fresh server install (not restoring from backup) and had no trouble logging in and was prompted to de-authorize my Mac. I then tried restoring from a backup through the settings menu and it took me down the same path ending in the login loop.

Appreciate any help you can give. Hoping I can avoid having to start fresh.

Hey @Ronald_Tracey,

Thanks for the detailed follow up!

This is a key piece of information, and our development team would like to further see the Roon Server logs and Varlog from the NAS - we’re not able to connect to the device currently, would you please use the directions found here and send over a set of Roon Server logs from the NAS to our File Uploader?

Thanks @benjamin - just uploaded.