Issue using Chromecast with Roon [resolved]

Just spotted your post - I have already responded to a similar one elsewhere.

I have the same problem. My Chromecast (used in one of my systems) no longer works with Roon either.

Not a problem with all wifi devices though, just Chromecast. My Muso Qb (which uses Airplay) still works.

Core is a Synology DS918+, DSM 6.2.2-24922 Update 4, Roon 1.7, build 511

Netgear Nighthawk R7000, WiFi stable

Output is Chromecast Audio, firmware 1.42.172094

The problem is that I get the initial “blurp” when I try to play something from Roon, but then nothing. Eventually I get a Roon error on my Control device, saying “Audio device refused to switch input to Roon”.

1 Like

My Google Home Minis don’t work, either.

2 Likes

same here :frowning:
Macbook Pro RoonCore, Google Wifi Mesh, Roon 1.17 build 511, 4 Chromecast endpoints. Everything has been working flawlessly for many months now. But all of a sudden, nothing works!?
I also get the “blurp” but is also presented with “Audio device refused to switch input to Roon”

i have tried restarting the RoonCore, resetting all of my Chromecasts back to factory and restarting the Google Mesh Router. But no luck…
Roon works fine with my pc as a endpoint and the Chromecasts works fine with Google Music and other programs.
Anyone who has a solution?

No solution that I’ve found. I cold booted everything (routers, devices, core, etc) and nothing made any difference. I also noticed (while troubleshooting) that if you disable your devices they will not re-enable again.

Could also be something like an expired certificate, I suppose. No change necessary for that.

1 Like

Hi,
FYI
I use Chromecast as display, same issue.
Firmware : 1.42.172094

Same problem here with chromecast on JBL Playlist and Google Chromecast 3. Streaming from Google Music (android device) to both devices doesn’t work either.
JBL Playlist: firmware cast 1.28.102057
Chromecast v3: firmware cast 1.42.172094

Using Roon with Linux based machine is OK (ethernet)

Looks like a Google issue then…

Well I can play Spotify through my Chromecasts from my iPhone, but not roon. Pocket Casts - a podcast app - also plays readily from the iPhone to the Chromecasts. Spotify on my Windows 10 PC does not find the Chromecasts - but it may never have done so as I never tried that before. As well, Media Monkey 5 does not locate the Chromecasts from that Windows 10 PC, but MM5 has always been very flakey about Chromecasts.

Same here, problem exactly as described above with my Google Nest Mini.

Having same problem.

Looks like the the problem has been resolved !

It works for me again.

Same here. What changed?

Same here! Certificate updated maybe?

Hi All,

Everything should be back to normal as of about 30 minutes ago.

When Chromecast devices kick off an application, they start by loading a web page from the internet. This briefly bounces through a web page on roonlabs.com, which redirects the Chromecast back to your Roon Core to do the real work of delivering the audio/visuals.

Earlier today, we deployed a new version of the web server configuration for roonlabs.com that broke this redirection. The web developer was unaware that Chromecast devices were depending on certain aspects of the website to be working in a particular way. This is understandable–it is far outside of their day-to-day mental model. The mistake here was letting Chromecast functionality become intertwined with the website when it was developed.

We’ve rolled back that change for now, and will soon be separating this Chromecast implementation detail from the website so that the website maintainers can make routine updates without fear of breaking Roon. We will also be auditing for any other hidden dependencies like this to prevent similar incidents in the future.

Thanks for reporting this to us quickly, and we apologize for the trouble here.

13 Likes

Thanks for the rapid response, fix, and detailed explanation and the plan to decouple Chromecast from the website.

1 Like

When you’re on it maybe correct the 48 Khz limitation for chromecast?
Roon converts to 48 Khz for my Cambridge Audio CXNv2

1 Like

Thanks for the explanation Brian. It’s interesting to know that cast devices are just simple web clients (running Linux/Android and a stripped down version of Chrome I suppose) and they rely a lot of non-Google web servers to provide their functionality (such as the one for roonlabs.com).

I can confirm that my Google Home, Google Home Mini and Chromecasts are all working fine now.

Thanks from me as well for reacting so quickly & for the explanation.

All OK with my Chromecast system here again.

1 Like