Issue with ARC not working after Roon software update on iPhone (ref#J23DUM)

Full form submission

What’s happening?

· I'm having trouble with Roon ARC

What best describes your issue with ARC

· Other

Describe the issue

Roon software update last night. ARC always worked fine before that. I tried reloading app on iPhone. “On line and Ready” and then… nothing , just a spinning circle and line moving left to right at top of screen. Works via home WiFi but not cell. I set up port forwarding on my router and even tried 2 different port assignments (per ARC set up instructions). I’m at a loss what to try next.

What does the ARC tab in Roon settings show?

Hi, I’m new with this so not sure what “tan” is. I copied screenshots from my iPhone and Roon settings. IPv4, not 6, pretty sure modem is bridge only.

Other stuff.

IMG_0030

Things seem to be on different releases. Probably first thing Roon support will ask you to do us put them all on the latest release.

Thanks! I updated everything to latest release. IPad version updated, OS and server release didn’t change. Problem is still present.

One observation: you have a hybrid IPv6 address for ROCK, i.e., ::ffff:192.168.68.68. This may point to a networking issue. Did you set up port forwarding for both IPv4 and IPv6?

I see this is being addressed in a different thread. thanks.

My router is set up for IPv4 so that is not happening on my router side. It looks as though Roon is adding ::ffff: so as to regard my IPv4 address as IPv6.

I am set up for IPv4. It doesn’t look like my ISP does IPv6 in my area yet. I wonder if Roon effort to work better for IPv6 has broken ARC for people whose servers are IPv4.

One thing worth noting. I just put ARC on my work phone, iPhone 13 running iOS 17.4.1. Carrier is Verizon. ARC functions on work phone. Personal phone is iPhone 12 running 17.4.1, Carrier is T-Mobile. ARC doesn’t work. Except for some fairly restrictive certificates on my work phone, related settings are similar. So incompatibility seems related in my case to how the cell provider is managing/communicating with my ISP (or vice versa).

Hi @Andy1,

Thank you for your post. We’ve examined diagnostics for the two phones to compare and noticed that the failing instance of ARC is reporting an enterprise-grade cloud security network as the connection provider rather than T-Mobile. Do you have any VPNs or proxy software on your personal phone? Do you ever encounter failures on the work phone in ARC? We’d like to clarify how this cloud security is involved in the setup.

Nice work, Connor. You nailed it. I had NordVPN a few years ago but was no longer subscribed. I just now deleted the app and the instances in VPN settings (see images). Though “off,” and unsubscribed, they clearly weren’t inactive. ARC works again on cellular only!

I do wonder if by not deleting the NordVPN app (wasn’t running) it repopulated VPN fields in “VPN and Device Management” that I’d previously deleted. Kinda sketchy. Lesson learned. Thanks for the great customer service, Roon!

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.