Issue with Audio Output to Windows 11 PC Attached Speakers in Roon Audio List (ref#I6TPSS)

Full form submission

What’s happening?

· I'm having trouble playing music

What best describes your playback issue?

· Other

Describe the issue

Audio output to W11 pc attached speakers not available in roon audio list.
I have Rock installed on linux based iTX machine, only available outputs are directly attached or Rose streamer.
I have roon bridge installed and have made exceptions in windows firewall for raatserver and roon bridge.
Usually have multiple entries for raatserver in exception list under public and private networks. I am running on private network.
Everything is hard wired and using Archer C60 router.

Describe your network setup

Virgin Media business broadband in modem only mode. Archer C60 Router, hardware is hard wired through ethernet. Have TP link powerline extenders and Netgear switch.

I have the view of audio section of Roon panel attached. The FVP entry is the smart tv.

I don’t think that you need to have explicitly installed Roon Bridge on your Windows PC.

What you should probably have in your Firewall exceptions list are entries for roon.exe and roonappliance.exe:

What happens if you temporarily disable the Windows Firewall as a test? Do the PC audio devices appear in Roon?

Hi Geoff,

Yes, it works with firewall disabled. I have found in the past when I have got it working it reverts to not working after a few days.

I have found that both roon.exe and roonappliance.exe are in the list of exceptions for the private network

What about raatserver.exe and roonbridge.exe. raatserver.exe should definitely be in the list of exceptions for the private network. roonbridge.exe should be in the list of exceptions for the private network if you are using Roon Bridge. roonappliance.exe is only required to be in the firewall exceptions if the windows PC is your Roon Server - in which case roonserver.exe should also be present. However, it will not do any harm if the exception is present and unused.

Have you checked that you Windows network is set to private? If it is set to ‘public’ then it will not be applying those exceptions. The public/private network attribute is set ‘per network interface’. ie. It may have to be set for your wired internet connection and your Wifi connection if you use both.

e.g.

You don’t need to install roon bridge - but it should still work if you do.

I tend to install Roon Bridge on my desktop PC so that I can use Roon Desktop to manage the Queue and then shut it down and have the music continue to play.

If I don’t use Roon Bridge, shutting down the Roon Desktop app causes the music to stop streaming (because the endpoint dissappears). Using Roon Bridge makes the Windows PC endpoint behave just like any other endpoint. The endpoint persists independently of the Roon Desktop application.r

Hi @andyboschier,
Thanks for writing in to let us know about this issue. Let us know whether any of the suggestions you have here work for you.

I do not have roonbridge.exe listed for exception. There is a listing for roonbridgehelper.exe which is checked.

I was using information from the help article on the firewall at:

It appears that this article is out of date as it looks like it may be roonbridgehelper that is required as well. Here are a couple of screen shots from my firewall excedptions that show what I have:

This setup works both with and without Roon Bridge running.

I have got it working after going into advanced settings on firewall. It now allows the connection after I have restarted. I will see if it fails again as it has done in the past. I will keep you posted.

Many thanks for the help so far.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.