Issue with convolution filter

Hi Dylan,

I wanted to check if there’s any news or what’s happening?

I also want to let you know I’ve been experiencing kind of a crackling noise on some music passages with the replacement unit. This occurs when I have a convolution filter applied. I am also upsampling from 44.1 to 384 kHz. The processing speed is still about 5-10 with this load depending on the filter. It occurs with streaming from Tidal or my NAS. The unit and my NAS are behind an unmanaged Netgear switch. I did not notice this with the first unit. I know it might be a lot of things but I wouldn’t have expected this, nor am I sure what to do except turn off the filter, which defeats one of the big reasons I went with the Nuc+.

Hi @rcaudio,

Regarding the Nucleus investigation, this is still ongoing. I’ve requested an update from the team, but at this time we don’t have any new information. As soon as we do I’ll be sure to reach out ASAP.

Regarding the playback issues:

When you disable the convolution filter do things return to normal?

Is this with all streaming content or just certain tracks?

Can you share a screenshot of the signal path?

Dylan, here is a screenshot of the path and some of the DSP settings. When I disable the convolution filter, yes, the sound is ok. This only occurs sporadically on various tracks.

In the screenshot is something I played yesterday and I circled in red where it was crackling. There’s no clipping or anything going on, I put - 3dB headroom management on and never saw the clipping indicator light red. I played it several times and it would crackle. Today it doesn’t make the noise in this area but does further down the track, and goes away when I remove the filter. I first noticed this last week while listening to a different track with a friend.

Hi Dylan, Anything on the convolution filters I sent?

Richard

Hi @rcaudio,

How did you send these filters? I’m not seeing any links above or any messages from you in my inbox — Can you try sending them again?

Dylan, I sent them again to community@roonlabs.com.

Richard

Hi @rcaudio,

Can you share them here via a shared Dropbox link or a link to another file sharing service?

@dylan, here you go.
https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/1Z9H4bylPvLV7UeTcTn8fXiSeBmJbo6qr

Has anyone experienced music skipping and with static while applying convolution filters? This has happened with several different filters now and seems rather sporadic and unpredictable. Generally, (but not always) it happens at the beginning of a track, seems like it happens mostly if I haven’t played the track at all or for awhile, occurs both from library and Tidal, is not repeatable or if it does repeat, doesn’t skip in the same manner.

For instance, I just loaded Mozart Symphony in A minor “Odense” by Hogwood and AAM. It opens with some sharp, crisp violining. It skipped very badly. I removed the filter and it went away. I then reapplied the filter and it’s playing fine.

My setup is that I’m running a Nuc+. Currently have an internal SSD, but this also occurred when I was running a NAS. I am upsampling to 384k, the limits of my DAC. Removing the upsample sometimes helps but not always. Processing power remains high with the upsample (usually in the 8-10 range). I have added headroom at times but it has still occurred, and did not occur when in fact I saw some clipping. I’ve sent some filters to @support but haven’t heard anything from them.

Hello @rcaudio,

Apologies for the delay. I have merged your post back into this thread and have flagged down @dylan so that you can continue troubleshooting this issue, thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.