Issue with FLAC file conversion on phone for lossless playback (ref#13A2VB)

Full form submission

What’s happening?

I'm having trouble playing music

What best describes your playback issue?

Other

Why is sample conversion preventing the flac file from being lossless/enhanced (blue icon), its only high (green icon) I have dsp off. Phone supports lossless aptx

Because you’re using Bluetooth headphones

Because conversion for compatibility (48kHz due to the phone’s audio subsystem requiring it) and DSP volume are classified this way:

I don’t think that Roon even knows this, so I don’t think this is the reason. And AptX Lossless exists now:

1 Like

Bluetooth aptx lossless exist now. Momentum TW4 supports it

Are you saying it cant be done?

What can’t be done? Certain operations are simply classified in certain ways by Roon, as explained in the link. Resampling to 48kHz is neither lossless nor strictly an enhancement, so they show it that way. The color of the graphics has no effect on the sound.

1 Like

AptX is a proprietary codec, and phones without a specific Snapdragon chipset won’t support it*, so it’s lossy for many regardless. Since audio is handled by the OS mixer, which is typically 48 kHz on Android phones, transmission via Bluetooth will use a lossy codec regardless of the Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless 4’s specifications.

*I think this includes Google Pixels and Samsung mobile phones, and probably many others.

(As an aside, is AptX Lossless truly lossless? Most likely for another thread, but Redbook requires 1,411 kbps and I don’t think Bluetooth gets much past 1 Mbps.)

2 Likes

It is also still going via the Android operating systems audio OS Mixer which Roon Arc cannot bypass via Bluetooth and still converts regardless to 48/24.

Like you say, Roon sees this as High Quality.

Only in optimal conditions :+1:

Nope Roon will bypass Android system audio when via Bluetooth I have succefully done 96/24 via LDAC. This will be down to the BT stack on the device and phones. I don’t believe aptX lossless goes beyond 48/24.

2 Likes

Yep, me too, on a Samsung A tablet

44.1/16 I believe are the limits at 1200kbps in optimal conditions - CD quality

That was my assumption and why I stated Roon Arc isn’t bypassing the Android OS Mixer as its resampling to 48/24 in this instance.

Everyday is a school day :+1::pray:

Its likkely not going via AptX Lossless and likely AptxHD or other variant. Which Roon has no control of whatsoever as its all to do with the Bluetooth stack and what it says its supports. on iOS its always 44.1 to me Sennheisers as AAC doesnt go higher for BT.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.