Issue with loading the library - QNAP NAS

Roon Core Machine

QNAP HS453DX 8G

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Wired in-house and playing via airplay for two grouped devices.

Connected Audio Devices

NAS HDMI out to Pioneer receiver and airplay to i.e. AudioPro C10mkII

Number of Tracks in Library

17000 and connected to TIDAL

Description of Issue

Once every two/three days I’m not able to start up Roon because of a database loading issue.

I’m unable to reproduce the fault and have been monitoring this behavior for over a month now. Recent updates dit not help.

Maybe can you help me with the log files? (Where do I upload those?)

Server cpu/ram seem to be okay. Can’t find any spikes (over 50%) during playback. It hovers between 8 and 15 %, higher is when the NAS is adressed for something else.

NAS is powered uninterrupted and back-ups are made every 4 days. Crashes are not related to the back-up proces. Not all back-ups are restorable (?), but the last one is allready restored for three times.

Library has been cleaned, server files has been replaced, a total delete and restore have been done. Problem still exist.

NAS memory has been checked and found all okay.

Recap: No issues visible during playback, but crashes happen randomly (it seems).

Thank you for your help.

Best regards,

Dimitri

Sorry you are having uses and I am not an expert with any of this. I also use two QNAP NAS for my Roon Cores and Roon requires a NAS with a minimum of an i3 Core processor. One of my NAS has and i3 processor and the second NAS has an i5 processor. When I go to QNAP, your NAS model shows it having the Intel Celeron J4105 quad-core 1.5 GHz Processor which I believe is lesser than the i3 processor and with 170000 tracks, your machine is working pretty hard. I am not an expert, but the processor may be lacking horsepower.

Hi Stephan,

Thnx for your reply. It never was the problem, I’ve had a subscription for several years already. Had some issues in the beginning, but they’ve been adressed.

Roon and QNAP used this setup even as a display somewhere. It’s a fanless NAS, nice and quiet.

The NAS is only used for back-up some files, so no punishing of the cpu whatsoever.

There must be something new which is bugging my setup, but I can’t get my finger on it.

I didn’t realize the QNAP was just for backups. I just saw that your post stated your ‘Roon Core Machine as QNAP HS453DX 8G’. I am sure somebody on this forum will help you out.

A Celeron J4115 CPU should definitely handle a collection of 17,000 tracks easily. I used to have a J4005 Celeron which is way below the 4115 and it was having no issues with smaller to medium libraries. When the library grew above 70k tracks with some mean classical music folders, the J4005 finally reached its limits but with very obvious side effects like CPU usage at 100% for several seconds.

The CPU recommendation ´i3´ or ´i5´ is not precise as there are plenty of different versions of these Core models. Knowing the generation and base frequency is IMHO the least of information which should be on the table to estimate an Intel’s performance. The Celeron J4115 for example rivals the performance of an i5 or i7 of Generation 4 or 5 at a similar frequency (1.8Ghz). Not great - we are talking about outdated Core models approx. 8 years old - but absolutely decent and sufficient when it comes to Roon.

@Dimitri ´database loading issue´ might have to do with Roon´s internal database being stored somewhere on one of your drives? Could you specify which HDD/SSD models you have and where exactly roon´s internal database is stored? You can access the latter when opening Roon app in Qnap´s app center.

In case the Roon database is stored on a spinning disc this might cause the issue as certain folders might be unavailable for some time while the drive is busy. If it is on an SSD it might be unavailable temporarily as well.

Hi Arindal,

Thnx for your reply. I’ve been busy and let it rest for a few weeks, no Roon. About two weeks ago I installed a back-up, again, and Roon kept working for the two weeks, until yesterday.

The setup is two spinning disks and two SSD’s (m2). Where exactly the library is, I don’t know. (yet, have to dig in) It is a combined partition. I’m planning the reinstall the NAS anyway, but lack of time etc…

But on the other hand, the issue never existed before with the same setup. Don’t know. All the disks are in good condition.

I’ll do an update first and will check back in later.

Thnx once more

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.