Issue with Local FLAC Playback Pauses and Displays Slow Loading Message (ref#9RHO0M)

Full form submission

What’s happening?

· I'm having trouble playing music

What best describes your playback issue?

· Playback starts, but I don't hear any music

Describe the issue

Even just playing local albums (flac on NAS), playback starts but pauses on 0:00 for a while. Then it starts rolling and I get 3 seconds of sound before it stop again with a message "An audio file is loading slowly. This may indicate a performance or hardware problem". I see this (or the similar Qobuz or Tidal message) regularly today. Restarting the server does not fix this. Disablng Qobuz does not help this.

Describe your network setup

Fritz AVM 7530 router. TP_Link 24 port gigabit switch.

Where is Roon Server installed?
How is everything connected on the network?

If the server is not on the NAS, does it happen with a file that’s available directly on the Roon server machine?

Roon server is on Windows 10, on a dedicated Intel i5 NUC with SSD and 8GB RAM. Not running anything else on there.
Library is on a Synology DS918+NAS with 16GB RAM.
Server and NAS are connected to same 1GB TP-Link switch.
Endpoints are a mix of Wired and WiFi Roon Bridges.

I keep a tidy network. Nothing changed in the hardware for ages. This same configuration has been fine except for various software problems.
With 1390 I ran into the Qobuz problems described elsewhere.
After 1401 I ran into the airplay issues described elsewhere.
Today I see slow Tidal, slow Qobuz, and slow file loading messages. Restarting roon server (which usually sorts issues for a short while) is making no difference.
I have disabled Qobuz and tried just playing local files but it just plays the first few seconds of each track, then the warning message, then skips to next track… right through the whole album.

Have just restarted (full shut-down, then power-on) everything.
And then updated all my roon-bridge endpoints.
But I left Qobuz disabled.

It seems to be behaving for now.

1 Like

Hi @Andrew_Beveridge,

Thank you for the report. We’ve activated diagnostics to take a closer look.

We’ve noticed a pattern - despite all Zones reporting healthy buffers, whenever a stream initiates on one Zone, sample dropouts immediately begin to accrue in other active Zones. The inevitable result is an endpoint dropout.

In other older cases still recorded in logs, one Zone would accrue packet loss while RoonServer downloaded audio files from upstream servers (Qobuz, etc.)

It’s a hunch, but I’m curious if the AVM 7530 is doing some traffic direction here and selectively throttling certain streams. Have you set the RoonServer machine to top priority in the Quality of Service settings for this router? Here’s a guide from Fritz!Box.

In any case, please provide an approximate timestamp or the name of the track/Zone when this next occurs. We’ll continue to work with you until we have an actionable step to improve things.