Issue with mac mini audio reporting core audio

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Mac mini late 2012, i7 16 GB Ram. OSX 10.14.5 Roon 1.6 416

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Ethernet all around Netsys routers except iphone.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Second new Mac Mini, USB to headphone amp ethernet connection. 4 Sonos boxes and a Macbook Pro with optical connection to a Schiit DAC.

Description Of Issue

On the new Mac Mini the “Connected to this Mac” audio is reporting the audio from the Core and is not showing the “Connected to Core” audio, which I do properly see on the Macbook Pro. When I go into the “Connected to this Mac” audio and turn it on, I turn on the audio that is connected to the Core. If I change the Zone Name on the Core the Zone name changes in “Connected to this Mac” on the new Mac Mini. This does not give me an option to send audio to my headphones that are connected to the new mac mini - since it is controlling the Core. On the new Mac Mini I deleted everything in Library related to Roon and rebooted. I also did a delete and rebuild of the Core. I am new to this, and everything seemed to be going well until this issue cropped up.

Try turning off all Firewall /Antivirus on the mac minis and see if your audio devices show up. The Roonserver needs to communicate with the devices on remote machines and if this communication is blocked then they do not show up. If they do appear, then you should go into your firewall settings and allow Roon , RoonServer and RAAT when you turn the firewall back on.

1 Like

Hi @James_Allen,

On the new Mac Mini, did you use a Time Machine backup or the Apple Migration Assistant to copy the OS from the Core machine to the new device?

The new machine had the OS, I used migration assistant to copy applications and settings from the Core machine, which I then wiped and reloaded with just the OS and Roon server.

I just reloaded the O/S on the new machine and installed Roon. It is now working correctly. Is there a recommended way to bring in my applications so I don’t run into this again? I did a completely fresh install last summer and would prefer not to do that again.

Hmm. I would use this sequence. Make a backup on the old computer and copy it off. Turn off old machine. Install Roon fresh on the new machine. Restore backup on the new machine. Test to verify Roon is working and the restore is good. Turn off the new machine. Turn on the old machine. Uninstall Roon. Turn on the new machine. Migrate everything else over.

Adapted from this page on the knowledge Base: https://kb.roonlabs.com/Migration

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.