Issue with Native PCM Playback in Roon on Ubuntu Server with TEAC DAC (ref#1EME84)

Full form submission

What’s happening?

I'm having trouble playing music

What best describes your playback issue?

I'm hearing clicks, pops, or unexpected noises

Dear Customer Support,

I'm testing Roon for 2 days now and I can't get native PCM to play.

My setup: dedicated NUC12pro Intel i7 (1260p), 32GB RAM, Ubuntu Desktop with Roon Server on 1TB NVME, Music on 4TB external SSD over USB C. Roon Remote on iPad Pro. The NUC feeds a TEAC UD-701N DAC/Streamer over USB.

Basic settings: DSD Playback strategy Native, Volume control fixed, Resync delay 2000ms (tried up to 5000ms with no luck), Max PCM 768, Max bits 32, Max DSD 512, Buffer 500ms

The issue:

Problem playing any PCM file except 44.1/16bit natively.

Observations:
I can play any DSD file including DSD512 fine
I can play PCM 44.1/16bit fine (ripped CDs)
I can play any file if I set conversion PCM > DSD in Muse, including conversion to DSD512
If I try to play a PCM file without conversion to DSD, I get a lot of noise with the music barely discernible in background (kind of like an analog radio imprecisely tuned to a station). When I do that, my TEAC displays weird DSD stream parameters (eg. 96kHz/24bit file gives DSD 3M, while 96/24 upsampled in Muse to 192kHz displays DSD 6.1M on the TEAC).
If I set DSD Playback strategy to DoP I get no playback at all.
Changing TEAC settings regarding filters, upsampling etc. has no effect on the issue.

Please, help.

Best regards, Peter

Hi @hipokrates,

Can you please share a screenshot of the Signal Path in Roon when you’re encountering this symptom?

The signal path is accessible by clicking the illuminated dot next to the Playback bar.

Please also provide the name of a track that was playing when you encountered this. We’ll pinpoint the event in diagnostics and illuminate the issue.

Having ran into similar issues, but not a Roon issue, I’d recommend ensuring the Teacs firmware is up to date. Download Roon on a Windows PC or a Mac and download the required drivers.

Ubuntu may not support the Teac.

You could try Roon Rock.

Hi Connor,
thank you for the reply.

I’m attaching a few screenshots while playing both with and without DSD conversion. I took two heavy files as examples (one is 192kHz, the other is 352,8kHz/32bit) to show that processing power is not the problem (still over 3x processing speed), but it happens with every single file above 44,1/16 bit (48/24 bit all the way to DXD) The names and parameters are visible in the photos. I took a photo of my TEAC’s display while playing the 192kHz file WITHOUT DSD conversion. With conversion is says 22M. I also used my iPhone and Astell&Kern SP3000 to play wireless from roon. Both play without issues. Best regards, Peter

Hi, thank you for the input.

It would be quite disappointing considering Teac bears the Roon Tested certification. It is running the latest firmware. If no better solution exists, I might try the ROCK, but I wanted to give myself some flexibility and possibly add HQ Player to the mix.

Best regards,
Peter

Yes, I see the Teac is a Roon Ready device.

However, you’re using it as a USB DAC, as you’re connecting your NUC via USB.

Roon Ready applies to the network streamer side of the Teac.

Try disconnecting your USB cable, connect the Teac to your network via ethernet and enable it in the Roon Remote audio tab in the settings. It’ll show under the Roon Ready section of that tab

Using it as a USB DAC isn’t using it as a Roon Ready device.

1 Like

Bullseye! After connecting the TEAC over Ethernet everything works!
Thanks!

I consider the issue solved. Still, it would be great if the folks at Roon could make the USB work too.

Best regards,
Peter

This is related to the drivers being required, and not a Roon thing.

As mentioned I had similar issues :wink:

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.