Issue with "Play Now" and "Play From Here" commands on first track selection in Roon 2.0 (ref#NCKGRT)

Full form submission

What’s happening?

· I'm having trouble playing music

What best describes your playback issue?

· Playback starts, but I don't hear any music

Describe the issue

Both the "Play Now" and "Play From Here" do not work on the first track I select of any album whether the track is #1 or any other. However, after I pick a second selection and use either command the tracks play normally.

If I stop play, empty the queue, and select another album or the same album, the problem is the same. If the music is not playing and I skip to the next track, the music does not play. Once I get a track to play using "Play From Here", I can return to the first track and play that.

I am using Roon 2.0 build 1407 on my Windows 11 laptop and the same build on my Roon Nucleus. I have 1203 albums and 17,158 tracks. The albums are stored on the nucleus internal storage drive 6TB.

Describe your network setup

I have a Netgear Orbi router (RBRE960)with one satellite (RBSE960). The Nucleus is plugged into a Netgear GS108 switch which is plugged into the router. My speakers are Denon Home 150's, a Denon Home 250 and a Blue Sound Plus Flex 2i. They all connect to the network via WIFI. However, I am only using 1 Denon Home 150 at this time. I rebooted the speaker and my Nucleus.

If the queue is empty, and you select Play now from the track, music should start. Likewise, clicking on Play from here should destroy the queue and start playback. If you click on Add next with an empty queue, the track is added, but playback does not start.

I’m not sure why this is happening to you, but I recommend you reboot your network devices, to see if this helps. Roon staff can check your logs when they get to your support ticket.

With empty queue Play now does not start music. Play from here shows previous attempts as skipped tracks in the queue. I never used Add next - I never noticed it before. Anyway, thanks for the suggestion of restarting my networks devices. I’ll give that a try.

If tracks are skipped, this indicates that there may be a network issue, which is more common when using Wi-Fi for endpoints. Restarting your network may help to resolve this.

Hi @William_Watman,

@Martin_Webster shares a good point in regard to the auto-skipping you’re experiencing. I’d also bypass the switch and any additional gear temporarily. Let me know how things function after a reboot of your router and Roon Server.

Disconnected router and its satellite from power; then powered up. No change. Moved nucleus network connection to router; no change. Roon “Play Now” worked fine since I first set the system up at the end of 2023. Problem just started recently.

I have not tried reinstalling the Nucleus operating system or restarting the Roon server software.
Should I try either of these two things? If so, should specific order for trying these procedures?

I have re-booted the router and my Nucleus - still have problem with “Play Now”. After unsuccessfully trying to get track 1 start, the problem seems to be I have to select “Play Now” twice to start music. The first time I select “Play Now” all tracks are placed in the queue and the music does not play. The second time I press “Play Now”, all tracks are placed in the queue and the music plays. Checking the queue, the tracks form the first time I selected “Play Now” appear as “items skipped”. Next, I cleared the queue and selected “Play Now” and again the tracks were put in the queue, but no music. I selected a different album selected “Play Now” , the tracks were added to the queue and the music from the second album started - again the tracks from the first attempt show in the queue as “skipped items”. Any ideas?

Both the Denon Home 150 and Bluesound Pulse Flex are wireless speakers. Can you connect one of these devices to your router using an Ethernet cable? This is a temporary check to determine if the skipping stops.

Furthermore, make sure these devices are running the latest firmware. I have a Pulse Flex, and this is quite sensitive to a below par Wi-Fi signal, especially if running > 44.1 kHz content. Updating to the latest firmware has helped.

I reset one of my Denon Home 150 speakers to factory settings and had it update to the latest firmware; disconnected all my speakers; used ethernet cable to connect the Denon speaker directly to my router. So, now my nucleus and the one speaker wired directly to my router. Router shows the speaker connected and Roon found it. Same issue - music will only play after I select “Play Now” twice. I don’t know if this is helpful in diagnosing the problem; Red vertical line that denotes play progress located at the bottom of track listing does not move until after second “Play Now” is selected.

Roon may want to pull your logs when they reply here; this should help explain what’s going on.

Meanwhile, please share your storage settings. I’m wondering if you are accessing the internal storage via a network share, and this is causing a delay when first playing.

Hi Martin - I appreciate your assistance & patience. I don’t know how to find the storage settings - Please tell me where I find that information and I will post it.

I am running Windows 11 Home

I just installed the new updates for Roon Server and for my PC. Problem is resolved - “Play Now” & “Play From Here” work as they should. Thanks for your help.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.