Issue with playing hi-res Tidal music in Roon after subscription upgrade (ref#QG5V18) [Resolved with Build 1401]

[Moderator Edit: Roon’s more recent response to this topic …]

Will Roon be compatible with new Tidal HiRes FLAC?

Now Tidal HiRes FLAC is beta only on iOS and in August will be publicly available.

3 Likes

Yes, Roon supports FLAC.

But not Tidal HiRes FLAC, now.

1 Like

It will support whatever the stream is which is flac doesn’t matter if it hires or not as long as it’s included in the database dumps they provide to Roon. If not then it won’t be available. I can’t see them doing this currently as there is no way to distinguish early access users from regular users via Roon the api doesn’t allow that. So it won’t be available until it’s generally available to everyone I imagine.

1 Like

Roon supports Qobuz Hi Res FLAC. There should be no technical reason for it not to support TIDAL Hi Res FLAC.

7 Likes

Roon supports FLAC. Period. This means any bit depth or sample rate.

6 Likes

It was about Tidal HiRes.

I think op mean access to them now. As it’s currently limited to early access Tidal users which Roon has no idea of it’s unlikely they are currently accessible via Roon for anyone on the trial.

1 Like

When it’s fully released to the public yes it will work as there is no difference to how it works now. This is a closed trial so won’t be available to Roon at the moment nor other apps that use the ApI I imagine.

This is the Tidal early access screenshot. I guess the new files are not available via Roon but my Lumin X1 accepts Tidal Connect, so I think I can use the early access program to get the HiRes FLAC files to play. Just need to experiment.

4 Likes

Impatience speaks for itself.

Yep that would work as it’s only their app that can instigate the streams for the trial.

1 Like

Tried the early access program via Tidal Connect to my Lumin X1. For some reason, it’s defaulting to MQA on Max files, not to HiRes FLAC.

It is probably currently incompatible with Tidal Connect or Lumin X1 requires a firmware upgrade.

1 Like

I’ve got it now: turned off MQA processing in the Lumin app. As you’ll see, it’s now playing 48kHz, 24 bit. Sounds great!

3 Likes

You sure it’s not just 48/24 MQA file without being decoded?

1 Like

Yes, suupeer

1 Like

Yes, as I have MQA off in the Lumin app, the X1 has correctly identified the track as 48kHz and 24 bit. There is no MQA processing.

But it still could be an MQA file, I can’t imagine turning off MQA processing would change the file it serves up just stops it doing the unfolding. If it’s an MQA file it would be 48/24 or 44.1/24 in its base container anyway. I guess @wklie could confirm if it is serving up just a hires flac or an undecoded MQA.

2 Likes

The Tidal notes on the new files indicate the service will automatically default to HiRes FLAC instead of MQA. So I think I have the new files instead of un-decoded MQA.

1 Like