Issue with Roon detecting multiple Sonos Play:5 series 1 speakers (ref#H4H4RQ)

Full form submission

What’s happening?

· Something else

How can we help?

· None of the above

Other options

·

Describe the issue

I have many Sonos speakers in my house and Roon has been problem free with all of them, but I recently bought two used pairs of Play:5 series 1 speakers and Roon finds only one pair. I have reset them and reinstalled them in my Sonos app but they still don’t show up. The two pairs are running the same current hardware version.

Describe your network setup

Cable modem, Eero pro mesh network, 1 Gig service

Hi @Charles_Williamson,

Thanks for writing in!

Are you able to connect and use the troublesome pair outside of Roon?

How are the issue devices connected to your network/Roon Server? Could you test out setting up a direct hardwire connection?

Are you able to use them over airplay vs the sonos protocol?

Lastly, could you attempt to connect them to Roon, and share the specific date and time, as well as the name of the zone you’ve created for them?

Thanks!

Let me give you more info and attempt to answer the questions I can. The details are confusing to explain but I’ll do my best!

I purchased 4 individual Play:5 series 1 speakers on eBay from 4 individual sellers. I’ll call them speaker a, b, c and d. They were delivered to me over a couple of weeks. The first two I got were speakers a and b. I hooked them up as a stereo pair. Roon recognized them and everything worked.Then I got speaker c and I reconfigured the stereo pair to be speakers a and c and Roon recognized the pair and worked great. Then I set speaker b up by itself in another room. This worked fine with the Sonos app but Roon did not see it. Then I got speaker d and added it to speaker b to make a stereo pair. Works fine with Sonos but the pair is not recognized by Sonos. Then I reset each of the speakers in the non-recognized pair and readded them into unique rooms which works fine with Sonos but Roon doesn’t see either one. Remember that speaker b was originally part of the a, b pair which Roon recognized.

I’m wondering if this process of reconfiguring the speakers somehow caused Roon to ignore them??

Other answers: My entire Sonos network is on WiFi only. I am also using a Sonos Boost in the network. None of my Sonos equipment is new enough to support AirPlay. Also, the only way I know to connect endpoints is to find them first in Roon settings and then set them up. I can’t get these to show up so I have not created a zone for them.

I appreciate the help!!

Charlie

Sorry, in the middle paragraph I should have said worked fine in Sonos but not in ROON.

Hey @Charles_Williamson,

Thanks for the detailed follow-up! And certainly an odd situation. I think a useful next step would be to first set the devices up in your ideal order, and then open your router settings and review the IPs for each device, as well as your Roon Server, and make sure everything is functioning within the same subnet.

Sonos discovery and playback with Roon rely on multicast and UPnP, so it’s worth verifying that both are enabled in your network / switch settings as well. :+1:

I’ll double check. Thank you for your help!

1 Like