Issue with Roon dropping out

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

iMac Catalina 10.15.4; Roon 1.7

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

WiFi, (optical fibre) 5GHz Orange network complemented with new Huawei range extender

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Linn Akurate DSM, attached to NAS

Description Of Issue

Hello. After much hesitation and not a little hair-pulling I have finally decided to contact you re a problem I have with playback on Roon. My usual listening set up is an iMac connected by wifi to a Linn Accurate DSM in another room, approx 50 ft from the computer . Generally I have no problem but occasionally in the past I have observed that playback sometimes cuts out, notably when playing hi-res or MQA files, which kind of defeated the purpose of having MQA…
Recently I not only moved the computer closer, eliminating one reinforced concrete wall, but also installed a Huawei WS5200 wifi router/extender in the hope it would improve the problem.
However it has in my eyes (and ears) only got worse, and play-back now even cuts out during (As if buffering) even with standard CD-res files.
FYI my wifi speed is pretty good, typically 206kbm and 132 kbm observed just now, but can be 357/ 188.
Nevertheless I am no longer able to use Roon for listening to music because of the incessant interruptions to playback. I am forced to bypass Roon and use Linn Kazoo, either from the NAS or using Tidal via Kazoo and my cell-phone.
A further detail, it may be linked to internet performance during lockdown but : 1. I observed the drop-outs before lockdown started and 2. as per figures above, my wifi speed should be more than adequate.
I would be very grateful if you could help me solve this problem.

Regards

Ian Borthwick (Paris, France)

Hi @IAN_BORTHWICK,

Does this issue only happen when streaming TIDAL/Qobuz content, or does it occur when streaming high-res local albums from the NAS as well?

Did you mean to type 206 Mbps? 206Kbps is a very, very low speed, close to dial-up speeds, so please clarify this aspect. You can use speedtest.net to check the current speed.

Do you have any issues when outputting to the iMac’s internal speakers? As in the System Output zone in Roon? This test will help clarify if the issue occurs on the Core itself with the least path from stream -> output.

Hi Noris
I replied yesterday, but apparently it did not go to the right place. So here goes again.

• First question : the issue also occurs when streaming (via Roon) high res albums on the NAS.

• 2nd question : You are right, Duuuh, I meant to write Mbps! This morning as an indication, speeds are 174 Mbps download and 119 upload.

3rd question : I have no problems outputting to the iMac’s internal speakers or System Output.

Thanks in advance.
Ian

Hi @IAN_BORTHWICK,

Thanks for the additional info!

Since just the Linn is impacted by this issue, this suggests a networking issue from the Core -> Linn.

I would fist of all connect the Core via Ethernet instead of WiFi. Ethernet is much more reliable for streaming, especially if there is WiFi interference in your home.

WiFi extenders such as these are not a great solution we’ve found. A direct Ethernet link + unmanaged switches is always the most preferable as mentioned in our Networking Best Practices Guide, but if that is not possible, then a mesh-style network is suggested instead of range extenders/powerline adapters.

I would try connecting both Core and Linn one at a time to the router directly, if everything works as expected in this kind of setup, then we have confirmed the networking issue.

Hi Noris

OK. I am aware that ethernet is the favoured solution, however it is unfortunately not possible.

I have tried connecting the Core to ethernet, but the problem remains.

It is rather complicated, but not impossible, to connect the Line to the router, so I have not tried this yet. The system currently works no better, or worse, than before I tried adding the router/extender…

Thanks

Noris

Further up-date FYI, I managed to connect the Linn to the router/extender. The same issue continues i.e. repeated drop-outs or cut-offs of playback when playing hi-res, including files on the NAS. But OK in standard res.

I hope that clarifies the situation

Cheers

Ian

Hi @IAN_BORTHWICK,

Thanks for trying to connect both Core and Linn to the router.
Can you confirm that the Linn is up-to-date on the latest firmware?
What is the exact model of the Orange router you have?

Hi Noris
Linn is up to date.
Orange router is Livebox 4 , exact model I believe is Sercom P/N 0BKL
However, I may have misunderstood your instructions. What I did was connect the Core and the Linn to the Huawei router/extender. Not sure if this was what was required, nevertheless connecting either the iMac or the Linn to the orange router is not possible given the configuration of my apartment.

Hi @IAN_BORTHWICK,

Would it not be possible even as a temporary test to see if the extender is the offending piece of gear?
We have often seen poor performance surrounding range extenders/powerline adapters, so this would be a very valuable data point to have.

If the system works as expected without the extender in place, we can provide some suggestions to address the issue head-on, but confirming that the extender is at fault would be our first step here.

Hi again

Re the Huawei extender, I don’t think it is at fault. The issue of dropping out was already a problem before I installed this piece of equipment. In fact it was the main reason for my acquiring it. Consequently I think we can rule it out.

Otherwise, I have managed to connect respectively the Mac and the Linn via ethernet. The result is that both when connecting the Mac or the Linn via ethernet, the problem continues, including with hi res files on the NAS.

Looking forward to your reply

Ian

Hi @IAN_BORTHWICK,

When you have both the Linn and Mac connected via Ethernet to the router, can you please reproduce the issue and let me know the exact local time + date + track it next occurs on?

Hi Ian
What was the result when you hardwired everything? I only ask as I originally had powerline between core and Linn KDS here (I appreciate you use wifi rather than powerline) and had occasional issues with high res files dropping out. I recently replaced the powerline plugs with an ethernet cable which I ran up two floors, and the problem disappeared.
Even trying it out temporarily will prove things one way or another. I appreciate doing it permanently might be an issue.

Michael

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

1.7 Build 667

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

WIFI (optical fibre feed); orange router, orange live plug repeater

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

LINN AKURATE DSM, ethernet connection to live plug repeater

Description Of Issue

Roon keeps crashing on my Linn accurate DSM.

Hi there, I recently contacted you re audio drop on my Linn DSM out notably when playing hi-res files ; this problem has not really been resolved, and this ongoing defect continues to frustrate my listening experience.

I am writing today about another issue. Namely that Roon crashes completely when playing on the Linn accurate dsm. While Roon functions perfectly on my iMac, the main listening post in another room (15 metres away and a couple of reinforced concrete walls in between) repeatedly drops out completely. Every day I am forced several times to reboot my DSM, reboot the Wifi , restart the computer, restart Roon in an attempt to continue listening. often, such as today, I cannot even resume listening, as despite all the rebooting etc the Linn DSM can no longer be found amongst the devices or zones.
This is most frustrating.
I see on the setup page that I can alternatively access the Linn via 2 other methods - Linn Songcast and Airplay. I am reluctant to do this as I presume I will not be getting the full hifi listening experience. However, if you think it advisable or if there is no drop in sound quality, maybe you would advise using either of these methods?

Looking forward to your advice

Ian

Hi @IAN_BORTHWICK,

I’ve merged your two threads so that we can have all the information in one place.
Can you please provide the information I requested in my last message?

I would like to enable diagnostics after receiving this info and take a look at your Roon logs, please let me know the timestamps and I can enable diagnostics mode for your account.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.