Issue with Starting Roon on Windows (ref#PEG1RX)

Hi @Petros_Mamales,

I’m glad to hear this helped get Roon up and running!

You would want to restore from a backup. Here’s more info on how to do that:

Can you share a screenshot?

Click the speaker icon > cog wheel (preferences) > device setup > volume control

Hope this helps!

Hi Benjamin,
Apologies for the delay.
I am afraid we are back to square one.
I tried to open roon while on my cell phone internet. It went back to its previous behavior.
Then tried on a public network: same.
Also, it asked me to re-allow apps to be accessible across the firewall.
All this is very confusing. All used to work fine before.
Will retry this afternoon (USA, EST) and report.
Best,
Petros

Hi @Petros_Mamales,

If you are outside your own local home network, you will not be able to use your Roon remote app. You will need to use Roon Arc to access your server outside of your home.

Hi Benjamin,
I am not sure I understand.
Until a month and a half ago, I was abroad where I used roon on my laptop (as a server) and local roon end points. I will not be able to do this any more?
Also, to be clear, I was at the local gym lounge and was using the laptop with either the gym’s internet or through tethering from my phone.
Why do I need to use Roon ARC now?
Best,
Petros

Also,
I am now at home and it is not starting. To be fair, we really did not solve the issue. We re-installed the app but never identified what was the reason why t went bad.
Best,
Petros

You didn’t make it clear to @benjamin that you were taking your laptop (and your Roon Server) with you when you were outside your home - he assumed that your Roon Server remained at home and in these circumstances, Roon ARC is required to connect to a Roon Server from outside.

Can you provide some more information to help diagnose your issues?

• Is the Network & internet setting on your laptop set for Public or Private networks?

Hi Geoff
Apologies for the misunderstanding, my bad - I was not aware of ARC and because roon needs computing muscle it did not occur to me that another interpretation was possible.
My tethering internet (using now) is designated as Public Network. I just allowed exceptions for roon.exe, roonapplication.exe, raatserver.exe to no effect.
For the home one, I will have to get back to you later.
Best,
Petros

PS1: Roon used to work fine with the tethering connection. So do Tidal and Qobuz apps.
PS2: One note: At home, last night, a message was written that the new roon app that was installed needs to update the database and this might take a while. I have a lenovo intel i7 with 32GB of memory and after more than 20 minutes it did not show anything different than the hourglass with the roon icon.
PS3: for the short time roon was being alive, during this discussion, I noticed that it listed some music files that I had on usb drives. Is there any chance that it is looking for them? However, I never connected to my old music database or played these files.

Hi Benjamin And Geoff,
I did set my home network to private, removed from windows firewall exceptions all roon-related executables and reentered them by hand- by pointing to %localappdata%/ roon and roonserver.
Then, tried to fire up roon, after I quit the server from the task bar.
I got a msgbox asking if I want RAATserver to be excluded for both public and private networks firewall (I had entered the app only from one place) said yes and then got the infinite loop.
Thank you for the help,
Have a nice weekend,
Petros

PS: I would greatly appreciate getting this solved by mid next week as I am travelling abroad.

Hi @Petros_Mamales,

Are you only using mobile hotspot as your internet? If so, this will unfortunately not be a long-term solution for using Roon. You’ll need a legitimate, stable, and consistent internet connection from your Roon Server device to your router.

While you may have had it functioning in the past, it isn’t something I’d recommend to rely on for stable performance.

As i mentioned before i use it on home network as well.
I am sorry but i get the impression that the exchange gets fragmented -i do realize that i am not the only one but it has now been a while.

This was the third weeked the problem persists and getting a question like this, after all the responses, is trully disappointing.

The previous response i gave was to the query if my home network is set as private or public. As a result, i think the response to your latest question should not be necessary to continue the effort to resolve.

Best,
Petros

My apologies @Petros_Mamales, it’s been a bit difficult keeping track of the environment you’re using Roon in.

Can you provide more detail around this? Quitting Roon Server from the task bar will stop it running - you’ll need to keep it running in order to use Roon.

Also, I would set up a hardwired ethernet connection from your windows running Roon Server directly to your primary router while we troubleshoot. Thanks!

Hi Benjamin,
When i wrote about quitting the roon server, i meant exactly what you are saying.
As i described, i reset anew the exception rules to the windows firewall. And to make sure that the rules under which the server was pulling in data was the new ones, i killed the process.

To clarify:
A)I am using roon mostly in home networks (in the US and abroad).
My laptop is used as a roon server talking to roon endpoints.
B) Additionally, when in public places, i use roon on the laptop, either using the local wifi or the internet feed from my cell phone hotspot.

I seriously doubt that i am doing something out of the ordinary.
Until recently, everything worked fine.

I used to have a vpn service which i uninstalled per one of your suggestions. I believe therre is one from Mozilla firefox but that was always there as well.
The idea to try roon using ethernet connection is sound and will try it tonight, however given that when using my laptop as both a server snd a roon end point is presenting with issues, i do not expect it to work.
Will let you know,
Best,
Petros

Hi Benjamin
Tried with wired connection as suggested with the same outcome.
Best.

Petros

Hi @Petros_Mamales,

You’ll need to keep Roon Server running in order to use Roon. Do not stop it from running this time around. To be absolutely certain your firewall isn’t causing issues, can you please temporarily disable your windows firewall? I see from previous posts you disabled Nord VPN, but never disabled the windows firewall.

Lets also rewind -

Refreshing your database seemed to have fixed your issue initially, but then ran into issues again after attempting to use hotspot. Because of this, I believe the issue is tied somewhere within your network restrictions.

Hi Benjamin,
I am referring you to my response numbered 14d.

Nevertheless I did repeat the disabling (and afterwards, enabling back) both private and public network firewalls. To no effect!

(I do get the impression of getting the proverbial can kicked down the road, at this point)

Regards,
Petros

Hi @Petros_Mamales,

I’m sorry you feel this way, it’s more a case of having difficulty understanding what troubleshooting specifically you’ve tried so far - for example:

I know you’ve now already tested disabling your firewall, but in this situation, I was referring to your Windows machine firewall, not any network firewalls. Roon will never ask you to lower your router/network firewalls. Only the firewalls tied to the specific device Roon/Roon Server is running on. :slightly_smiling_face:

I will follow up via private message with additional troubleshooting steps, as they contain sensitive information. :+1:

Hi Benjamin
I should not have said this. It is frustration talking really. I apologise. This is taking a while now and tomorrow i am leaving for abroad.

I did try both the windows defender and the verizon firewall-apologies i am really beyond my depth here, know nothing on networking. I did mention that the verizon support was helping me do it.

Will try both suggestions tonite (USA EST) and will report back.

Best
Petros

PS: i hope an entirely different network might give some clues.
Tidal and Qobuz stream fine on my laptop and can be even played by the oppo ha2 i mentioned.

Hi Benjamin,

A> I do see entries for both Tidal or Qobuz in the filesystem in %localappdata%/RoonServer/Cache. Therein there is an empty folder for each service with a unique-identifier-like name and qobuz_1.db, tidal_2.db folders.

B> I really do not know how to even look for windows machine firewall. I believe this is the one that the Verizon support people helped me with. On my own I use the windows firewall defender. Therein, I have set all roon-related apps as exceptions to blocking for both public and private networks. (I hope I am not creating vulnerabilities)

I have not more time to deal with it right now.
I will check back to see for any suggestions of Fri…

Best,
Petros

Hi @Petros_Mamales,

Great! Did you relocate them?

You shouldn’t need help with Verizon on anything windows firewall-related- and we actually have a help center article that breaks the process down quite easily :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi Benjamin,
Removed all tidal and qobuz related folders. Same behavior,
Best,
Petros