Issue with Starting Roon on Windows (ref#PEG1RX)

Full form submission

What’s happening?

I'm having trouble connecting to Roon

What type of connection issue?

Something else

Suddenly, I cannot start roon on windows
I use my laptop (win11) as a roon core, that controls my devices.
Worked fine until a few of days ago (less than a week). Since then, when I fire up roon, the window opens, the roon symbol shows up and then it seems to be hanging.
I created exceptions to my firewall for roon.exe, raatserver.exe and roonbridge.exe to no avail.
I re-installed roon: nothing,
I uninstalled and re-installed: nothing
(I have saved the backup folders, I hope I will not loose my library - this would be disastrous).
I do not know what else to do.
I am attaching the event log as suggested on roon support. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
TIA,
Petros

PS: I noticed (before), that I would close the roon app - by clicking the upper riht corner x, without pausing the music - and the app would not really terminate: the window would close and the music would go on. I do not really know if this is relevant or the intended behavior, but for what it is worth ;-))

Hello @Petros_Mamales ,

Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear about the issues. Can you please use these instructions to access your Roon & RoonServer logs, upload a set of the logs to the below link and let us know once uploaded? Any questions, just let us know, thanks!

https://workdrive.zohoexternal.com/collection/8i5239cc05950ac07456889838d9319545a82/external

There are two Roon programs running on your laptop. One is the Roon server and one is the Roon client. If music is playing on the Server and you close the client, the music will continue to play. That is by design.

1 Like

Thank you for the clarification.
Have a nice weekend,
Petros

1 Like

Hi Noris,
Logs have been deposited. Thank you for your help,
Petros

Hi @Petros_Mamales,

Can you please also test out disabling your Windows firewall and see if your issue persists?

To confirm, you do have Roon Server running, correct? You can enable it from your windows task bar if not.

Once you’ve confirmed Roon Server is running, are you able to connect using any other Roon remote device other than the same Windows machine?

We reviewed the logs you sent over - thank you for that! You don’t have multiple monitors hooked up to your Windows machine do you? If so, can you test out only using one monitor?

We’ll be on standby for your reply. Thanks! :pray:

Hi Noris,
Thank you for your reply.
A> Firewall: I can check with the windows firewall “down”, but only for diagnostic purposes; this cannot be the permanent solution.
B> RoonServer: I just checked RoonServer from the task bar. It is there, and running. On TaskManager, when trying to terminate Roon, I see Roon and background processes RoonServer and RoonApplication.
C> Monitors: No multiple monitors. Just my laptop.
Will do the experiment with external roon devices in a couple of hours, when I return home.
HTH,
Best,
Petros

Hi Noris,
So I tried to lower the firewall (with Verizon support helping) and did not change the roon behaviors.
This happened after and during tying to connect to external devices (roon endpoints) in my system.
TIA for your help,
Best,
Petros

Benjamin,
Apologies for mixing up the names:-))

Hi @Petros_Mamales,

It sounds like there may have been some confusion here - I was referring to the windows firewall, not any firewall settings liked to your router or network. If you haven’t yet, definitely turn your network firewall back on.

To confirm, I was curious about using a different Roon Remote device like a mobile device, or tablet, or computer. You’ll need to download the Roon mobile app if you haven’t yet.

Thanks!

Hi Benjamin,

I did lower both the windows and router firewalls.
They have now both been reinstated - thank you for your effort to protect.

I installed Roon on my Android phone, opened it, then this discovered the server on my laptop, asked me to connect, I pressed OK and then in hang.

HTH,
Best,
Petros

Hey @Petros_Mamales,

Thanks for the update! How is your windows device connected to your router? Are you able to temporarily set up a direct hardwired connection from the windows server to your router?

We’re also seeing an issue with Roon falling to analyze some of your local folders due to an invalid character :

rootpath: C:\Users\Petros\Music,

I believe its the comma “,” that may be causing the issue here

C:\Users\Petros\Music\debussy;

And similarly here, the semi-colon “;”

See if removing those characters help as well. :+1:

Hi Benjamin,
a> My laptop connects wirelessly to the router. Will try and report.

Meanwhile,
b> Where are these paths? Is there some config file?
On Windows explorer they do not show like this. Actually the C:\Users\Petros\Music\debussy does not even exist
There is this: C:\Users\Petros\Music\Debussy; Berliner Philharmoniker, Claudio Abbado. Removing the semicolon did not help.

Is there a list with reserved characters for paths? Also, in cases like this, why not report the path not found and continue?

c> Another thing I thought of: is there any dependency of roon on Apple iCloud? I have been receiving emails to purchase iCloud space, because the default free one is full, but I have different cloud space and ignored it. I am mentioning this, to make sure this is not related somehow.

Best,

Petros

Tried the laptop with wired connection with the same outcome.
This is what I see.
Best,
Petros

Hi @Petros_Mamales,

I would test our removing all commas and colons and replace them with an underscore “_”

There is no dependency or any connection between Roon and iCloud.

To confirm, did you attempt with only the Windows firewall disabled? Was the issue the same?

We’re seeing a handful of network-based issues occurring as well, for example:

failed to refresh account info: Result[Status=NetworkError]

Do you have any VPNs or third-party security software active?

Hi Benjamin,
Thank you for your answers.
Also, for the suggestion on paths. Being a windows person I am used to certain “liberties”.

I just uninstalled my Nordost VPN (no problem, was not making use of it) and restarted the computer to no effect.

Finally, per the firewalls I believe I did. After all, I can create exceptions for processes on the windows firewall level. Or am I embarrassing myself?
What I can share is the following snapshot:

Therein I notice that raatserver exists only on the private network and not on the public (for some reason, my provider has my main network as public - I asked and they said it is only a name).
I see multiple entries for roon and roonserver, some inactive (? - meaning the red-ed ones) - but also for Tidal and qobuz.
Apologies if I am cluttering you with unrelated data.
Best,
Petros

PS: I see from other people, in the forum, that they have similar issues with me (at least 2 of them) which appeared at the same time as mine. I tend to think - as they do - that between your update and MS’s, some incompatibility “developed”. I have erred before, though :wink:

Hey @Petros_Mamales ,

I believe I see the issue here and I’ve sent you a more advanced troubleshooting step via private message, please give that a try, thanks!

1 Like

Hi Noris
I really appreciate your help.
From the enthusiasm of your words, I was convinced you really had it this time.
Alas ,there is no such file therein.
Will try to respond on the private msg.
Best,
Petros

Hi @Petros_Mamales,

Thanks for giving that a try! Do you have a recently saved backup available?

A good next step would be to refresh your database and see if the same issue occurs. Steps to follow below:

Let’s get you on a fresh database and see if your issues persist:

• Create a Backup of your current database (if you have a recently saved backup, this will work too)
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “Roon Server” and “Roon”
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “RoonServer_old” and “Roon_old”
  • Reinstall the Roon App from our Downloads Page to generate a new Roon folder
  • Verify if the issue persists on a fresh database before restoring the backup

Here is the process outlined from a Windows machine:

All Roon_old on Windows

Thanks!

Hi Benjamin,

This seems to have done the trick. Thank you very much for your detailed instructions and your patience!

Before we call this done, a couple of questions:
a> How do I reclaim my database?
b> The look of Roon is different, like greyed out. Does this signify something?
c> A device that I plug on my laptop (Oppo HA2 portable dac and headphone amp) now appears too have fixed volume. How can I change it (I have it “emulating” oppo 203).

Thank you and Noris for all your help!
Best,
Petros

1 Like