Issue with Tidal MAX, Roon build 1401 with MAX fix, Naim Unity Atom latest firmware: Track with hi-res starts playing, stops after ~7 seconds (ref#CIFGNK)

Full form submission

What’s happening?

· I'm having trouble playing music

What best describes your playback issue?

· Music stops playing mid-track

Describe the issue

Tidal MAX, roon build 1401 with MAX fix, naim Unity Atom latest firmware, track with hires starts playing, stop after ~7 seconds

Same issue with 44.1/16 or just with hi-res?

What are you using as a Roon server?

No, problem occurs only if streaming quality is set to Max in service settings. When set to High, the same track plays without an issue, obviously with 44.1 kHz/16 bit then. With Max it shows the higher resolution in the signal path as expected - just the track stops playing after around 7 seconds and doesn’t seem to recover.

Roon Server on my Mac, Monterey 12.7.5.

I’m also reporting this to naim - assuming this could as well be a problem on their side? Roon Server connects to the Atom via Roon Connect.

FWIW, German translation of streaming quality level Max. has an unnecessary ‘.’ (dot) at the end - it should IMO be the same as in English - Max (without the dot) as this is what Tidal calls it. I’m assuming the intention was Max. as abbreviation of Maximum like High vs. Hoch (I would also prefer to us the English term High as Tidal does and not try to translate it).
Or are you planning to remove the sound quality option soon anyway as Tidal doesn’t seems to make a difference in their customer accounts anymore?

Can you rule out network issues due to the greater bandwidth that’s necessary with hi-res? Is everything wired? Can you play local hi-res tracks?

No issue here with Naim NDX-2. Their Roon Ready code seems generally rock solid.

In any case, in Roon‘s architecture it doesn’t matter to the endpoint what the source was, as the Roon server sends raw PCM

No issue with my Naim Atom at MAX tidal resolutions, in fact I upsample to 384 and it works perfectly.

Apologies for the noise! Have you turned it off and on again? Should have waited to open the ticket after rebooting my Atom. Turned the device off, disconnected it from power and let it boot up again - it now plays hires as expected, without stopping the playback as before. I’m now good - case can be closed.

3 Likes

Ha! I ask so often that my my phone automatically suggests the words of
Have you …

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.