Issue with white noise playback in Roon ARC when AirPods Pro (gen 2) automatically switch from Mac to iPhone (ref#XVXB5W)

Full form submission

What’s happening?

I'm having trouble with Roon ARC

What best describes your issue with ARC

Other

Automatic switching from my Mac to my iPhone with my AirPods Pro (gen 2) leads to white noise playback in Roon ARC. Clicking any other song will fix the issue. I was able to consistently reproduce the issue by playing a YouTube video on my Mac and then switching to Roon ARC on my iPhone.

Hi @PassionTheMusicGuy,

Do you have an approximate timestamp for when this last occurred? We’d like to activate diagnostic reports and investigate more deeply.

1 Like

Hi @connor ,

It happened less than 5 minutes before I sent the message.

1 Like

Thanks, @PassionTheMusicGuy, that’ll do dandily. We’ll follow up once we know more.

1 Like

Hi @PassionTheMusicGuy,

We’ve been working with the QA team to pin down this and related issues with Bluetooth handoff in ARC. First off, have you experienced this still on the most recent build?

Secondly, can you please confirm the Apple model no. for your particular AirPods Pro Gen 2?

A2931, A2699, A2698, A2700 are all in the serial range for the second generation - you should see this listed on the underside of Airpod.

Hi Conner,

Thanks for following up.
I’ll attach a picture with the information from the AirPods and come back to you tomorrow when I’ve tried to replicate the problem with all the newest software and hardware versions available.

Hi again @connor,

I tried to recreate the problem but couldn’t, so everything seems to be working properly now.

Edit:

Today, March 11th, at 16:44 CET, I encountered the white noise on switching problem again, switching from Twitch on Safari (17.3.1) on my Mac Studio (M1 Max) to my iPhone 13 mini (MLK13ZD/A)—everything running the latest stable software.

Roon ARC runs volume levelling, headroom management, and a 10-band PEQ. The sample rate conversion is set to ‘For Compatibility Only’.

I hope this helps!

Hi @PassionTheMusicGuy,

Thank you again for the update and for your patience.

When this occurs, what noise cancellation setting are you using in the Airpod Pros (active cancellation, translation mode, or off)?

1 Like

Hiya @connor ,

At the time, I used the ‘Adaptive Audio’ mode. I’ll try to reproduce the issue later with the other modes and keep you posted.

Edit:
Unfortunately the same issue happens in all modes.

Hi @PassionTheMusicGuy,

We’re still investigating this symptom internally but I’ll provide an update here as soon as I have one. Thank you again for your patience.

this is happening daily for me now, the first track I play after opening the Roon Arc app when playing through Apple AirPods Max headphones also blasts white noise straight into my ears, I then have to skip to the next track, or play a different album, before going back and playing my original request

1 Like

This happens to me w/ my iPhone 15 Pro and AirPods Pro 2 frequently. @connor are there any updates on the internal testing?

I have this problem as well when using Roon ARC with AirPods Pro (gen 2, A2698) on an iPhone 11 Pro Max. If I pause the track and press play again, the white noise stops and the track plays as it should. Scares the bejesus out of me when it happens.

2 Likes