Issues accessing ROCK (OS175) from Windows 10 Remote

Hi Phil,
I’ll go along with wanting a way to go back to an earlier build. In addition to the problem with connecting to a Synology NAS I’m finding the current build to not be as stable when accessing ROCK from my Windows 10 pc. Noris, is it possible to allow those of us who do not need CD ripping to roll back to an earlier build and to set Roon Rock to not automatically update?
Regards,
Mario

1 Like

Hi @Mario_Bucco,

I have split your post into it’s own thread so that we can take a closer look into this issue of the Windows 10 Remote. I am reiterating the information contained in the previous thread for easy access:

Can you clarify how exactly the Windows 10 PC is losing the connection? Are you being presented with an error message, the “Choose your Core” screen, or any other symptoms? Is it just the Windows 10 remote that is displaying this behavior or do other Roon Remotes display this behavior as well?

Can you please try bypassing the network extender and the MoCa adapters as a temporary test and have both the Core and the Windows 10 remote connected directly to the router? Does the same behavior still occur?

Thanks,
Noris

Hi Noris,
I’ll start by letting you know that bypassing the MoCa adapter & the network extender is not possible unless I switch everything to WiFi connections.

Ok, now on to the instability. It hasn’t happened for the past 24 hours, Verizon updated the router & extender software yesterday and everything seems more stable now. I still can’t access the NAS from Roon ROCK using the hostname. In addition, I’ve brought back about 20% of my music collection, (11,674 tracks so far), using the IP address of the NAS. On the NAS my music is grouped into about 30 folders based on source and I’m bringing back one folder at a time to make redoing my metadata edits easier.

What was happening was that while doing edits to the metadata in Roon on the Windows 10 computer, randomly Roon remote would shut down or I would get the message “Connection Lost”. If it shut down reopening Roon brought everything back up and for “Connection Lost” after a few seconds the connection would re-establish. I noticed that these events only seemed to happen if I had music playing at the same time I was doing edits.

The Windows 10 pc is running an Intel Core i7-3770K cpu with 16GB of ram. Windows 10 is up to date. The dac is a TEAC UD-301 connected via usb.

I’ve only used the system connected to the Roon ROCK via a Sonore ultrarendu on the same switch as the ROCK for a few hours since ROCK would no longer access the NAS using the hostname. I did not note any instability there beyond the, what I think of as normal, iPad dropped connection. I use the iPad to control rock with that system.

Regards,
Mario

Hi @Mario_Bucco,

Thanks for the update here.

This sounds like it could have been an issue with your router firmware if the update has helped restore functionality. Just as a general note, we have found ISP provided routers and switches to be less stable when compared to consumer-grade networking equipment. We mention this aspect in our Networking Best Practices.

You shouldn’t have to redo your metadata edits if you ensure that Roon is only seeing one copy of the same file at one time, as the metadata info lives in the Roon database. Our Preserve Edits Guide may be of help here, but the important thing is that Roon can match the files based on the audio content and not the storage location as long as Roon only sees one copy of the same file at any given time.

We are currently investigating this behavior alongside the reports in the other thread.

I wouldn’t consider this normal behavior. How often is the iPad dropping the connection? Does this only occur after exiting the app and opening it back up again or turning the screen on/off or does it seem to randomly occur while you are using the app?

Thanks,
Noris

Hi Noris,

First off, thanks for all your help.

For the routers/extender, upon more reflection I think the stability issues may have been related to a grouping of things. The pending updates of router & extender combined with doing a number of resource intense activities with my ROCK, (it’s an Intel NUC Core i5), such as playing music, editing data and on the Windows 10 pc doing some internet searching.

Next up, redoing the metadata edits, I’m not sure I understand what you mean by

ROCK can no longer see the NAS via hostname and I’m only loading one folder at a time using the IP address. I’ve been removing the old hostname folder locations from storage as I add the new IP location.
Some files are getting my previous metadata edits but some are not. An example of the ones that are not are concert downloads I had purchased from nugs:Live Downloads. Most of these were ‘unidentified’ when I added the Live Downloads folder and required manual updating.

The iPad drops have always occurred, they are not that frequent and are related to me switching to use another app(s) and then reopening the Roon app later or shutting off the screen and later, (more than 30 minutes) reopening it. Roon generally only takes 10 to 30 seconds to re-establish contact. It does not happen randomly though it feels that way sometimes.

Regards,
Mario

Hi Noris,

Quick update, after thinking about what you said about “only sees one copy” I tried an experiment. I removed the old hostname folder before importing the same folder using the IP address. Eureka! all of my edits showed up and everything is right with the world. You might want to pass this info on to others, remove the old locations before importing the new location.

Regards,
Mario

Hi @Mario_Bucco,

Glad to hear that this worked for you :slight_smile:

Yes, this is expected behavior here. We generally have no control of when/how Apple decides an app has entered “sleep mode” when the app is not in the foreground. If the app has not been used for some time or it has entered the background, it is possible that similar behavior can occur.

Either way, glad to hear that both of the above issues have been resolved, I will go ahead and mark this thread as [solved] and will update the other thread once I have more info regarding the Hostname issue.

Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.