Issues connecting with a new core server

Core Machine
Intel NUC10i7FNH1, running ROCK Version 1.0 (build 227) stable, ROON Version 1.7 (build 571) stable

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
Main House Router is ASUS RT-AC3200
Secondary Switch is TRENDnet TEG-S16Dg Gigabit Switch

Windows client is hardwired directly into the TRENDnet switch (same as the NUC Core, both show as the same subnet)
iPhone is coming over local Wifi out of the ASUS router

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
For now, just the Windows PC but haven’t started setting that part up yet.

Description Of Issue
First time ROON setup/user…
Installing ROCK on the NUC went smoothly. All steps from setting up the BIOS to installing ROCK to adding the CODECs to formatting the storage went smoothly. The NUC can be accessed via my main Windows PC that will also serve as one of the devices that I want to run the remote app off of. The NUC/Web UI shows everything as green OK status.

Next step was installing the remote app and trying to connect to the core server. When I bring up the Windows app, it finds the core server and allows me to select it. When I try to log in using my Roon account credentials I get the following message, “Network error: Please check your internet connection”.

I tried shutting down my firewalls with no impact.

I also tried installing and accessing the Core server via my iphone connected via local Wifi and got the exact same error.

Any ideas on what to try next would be appreciated?

I tried shutting off both the Windows firewalls and my Trend Micro security with no impact (also tried accessing via my iphone connected locally over wifi).

One other networking point…I am using the Cloudflare DNS servers (confirmed this with with DNS leak test).

Ok, I figured out part of the issue. On my ASUS router config, Cloudflare IPs are used for my WAN DNS but for my LAN DNS I’m using my Synology server running Synology’s DNS Server app. I did this a while ago in order to setup a family domain name in association with some of the Synology services. If I remove Synology DNS IP from the LAN config on the ASUS router, I can fully connect to the Roon server. I’ll have to work on figuring out if that creates other issues tomorrow with some additional testing. I’ll update the post then.

1 Like

I was able to adjust my network setup to remove the Synology DNS service from the Roon Core path and everything seems to be working fine with my setup now.

Longer term, I would hope that Roon addresses the DNS issues within Rock. Looking through some of the Core remote issues, this seems like a very repeatable problem with Rock/Linux. We shouldn’t have to limit networks to specific DNS services in order to get Roon working.

I have my ROCK set to a static IP which lets me specify DNS for ROCK.

Did you set this up at the Rock side or at your router? If at the Rock side, can you provide some info on how to set it up? (I’m not a big Linux guy)

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.