Issues connection to Roon Core and connection dropping from Android remote + Tidal stuttering/skipping tracks [Resolved]

Hi @support,

I’ve been having this issue during my trial that has now finished. I’ve been kindly offered another one by @Kevin to see if the issue can be resolved. Since the initial trial finished I actually uninstalled the core and then installed again from the same install file. I now noticed build 218 update which I’ve not seen before but will wait for instructions before installing. The pc running the core is located so that I normally use Remote to access it so don’t really see notifications on pc screen. I’ve only played music once yesterday evening from the new install and there were no issues.

Software:
Roon Core ver 1.3 build 216 (64 bit)
Windows 10 Pro (64 bit)
output to Dirac Live then optical out to dac

Hardware
i5-4690k
Asus Maximus Gene motherboard
2x8GB DDR3 2400MHz RAM
Sandisk Extreme Pro SSD
Wifi

Roon Remote 1.3 build 209 (32 bit)
on Samsung Galaxy S5 with Android 6.0.1
also on Moto G 2nd Android 6.0

Issue 1:
Problems connecting to Roon Core from above mobile devices and connection dropping. Remotes are unable to see the core instantly and need to be reconnected manually by pressing “Select a different core” once this happens Core shows up “Initiallizing” which can take up to a minute for it to connect. I’d usually force stop the app and open again to speed up the process which only works occasionally. This would happen on and off every few days but once it did it would take from 5-20 minutes to resolve unless I gave up and used Spotify or Foobar instead.

Issue 2:
This might be network or Tidal related as it doesn’t happen so much and only happens on Tidal and not on music from my library. Tidal stutters and shows tracks that I played before as unable to play. Can skip tracks on the album as if they were not there.

Thanks a lot for any help you might have
Lukasz

Hi @insider9 ----- Thank you for the report and sharing the details of your setup with us. I am going to break my response up into two parts to address the information you have provided.

Issue 1:
Problems connecting to Roon Core from above mobile devices and connection dropping. Remotes are unable to see the core instantly and need to be reconnected manually by pressing “Select a different core” once this happens Core shows up “Initiallizing” which can take up to a minute for it to connect. I’d usually force stop the app and open again to speed up the process which only works occasionally. This would happen on and off every few days but once it did it would take from 5-20 minutes to resolve unless I gave up and used Spotify or Foobar instead.
Issue 2:
This might be network or Tidal related as it doesn’t happen so much and only happens on Tidal and not on music from my library. Tidal stutters and shows tracks that I played before as unable to play. Can skip tracks on the album as if they were not there.

Both of these issues you are describing feel like they may be related to some sort of “bottle neck” occurring across your network somewhere. I have seen both remote connectivity issues and audio dropouts (issue #2) stem from instability in a network configuration. In order to properly address these behaviors, may I very kindly ask you to please provide me with a description of your network configuration/topology as well as providing insight into any networking hardware you may be implementing. I want to have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating and the tools that you are using to make those connections possible.

Moving on, you mentioned the following in your report:

“I now noticed build 218 update which I’ve not seen before but will wait for instructions before installing. The pc running the core is located so that I normally use Remote to access it so don’t really see notifications on pc screen. I’ve only played music once yesterday evening from the new install and there were no issues.”

I would strongly suggest updating to the most recent build (build 218) and seeing if things improve. You should be able to automatically update as the application should be presenting you with the following option:

Lastly, and my apologies for any confusion on my part, but can you clarify this statement for me:

…I’ve only played music once yesterday evening from the new install and there were no issues."

Looking forward to your feedback!
-Eric

Hi @Eric,

I was referring to listening after I reinstalled the Core on my Pc. There’s not been any issues last since but this is based on one evening only. Hope that’s a little bit clearer.

I will update the Core to the new build as suggested and get you the details of the network at some point. We’ll be busy with family over Easter so it may take a couple of days.

Meanwhile, hope you have a Happy Easter!
Lukasz

1 Like

Hi @Eric

Ok, so that you can close this support request. I have followed your advice and gone from wifi connection to a wired one. Not the easiest in my house so got myself a TP-Link AV600 power line adapter to Roon Core and that seems to do the trick. I have also done all the updates as requested and I belive another once since then.

Thanks very much for helping me to locate the issue. All is well now :slight_smile:

Regards
Lukasz

1 Like