Issues Restoring Roon Backups

It’s been 1 week since I forwarded my back-up files to Roon, but would have been nice to receive some sort of feedback on progress or otherwise during this period, but alas zero info supplied.

Would typically expect to wait longer before receiving answers, but it’s been 6 weeks since my initial thread was raised regarding failure of my restore back-up (can’t insert link to thread as Roon Support made it private). At present I’m not any further forward (no answer or indication of why original issue with my back-up restore, and no remedy).

Fully appreciate Roon Support are inundated daily/hourly with requests for assistances, and different issues can take different timing to progress/resolve (priorities have to be addressed accordingly), but would have hoped for feedback to be more frequent than once per week (not even that at present).

• Original Thread: Support feedback 1st 3 days - 3, feedback the subsequent 4 weeks - 4
  • New Thread: Support feedback 1st 2 days - 4, feedback the subsequent week - Zero

Seems (to myself) that the new thread Mike separated from this thread is going the same way as my original thread; contact dries up after initial flurry of feedback. Maybe I should change the thread title to “My Issues with Roon Support providing feedback”.

:thinking:

Cheers
John

I have similar issues with back-up. Every once in awhile Eric chimes in but no real progress. I’m surprised Roon hasn’t asked for my BU files.
There has to be some sort of corruption happening.
If I don’t restore a fresh import Roon is fast but I have years of edits that just can’t be lost…

I would think BU issues would be the top priority at Roon. I think their relative silence indicates there is something major going on here.

1 Like

@G997

Priority issue to Roon???

Just been advised by Eric that my issue is waiting in the Tech review queue and will be addressed as it moves up the queue. Now only after myself asking for an update is he going to change it to high priority.

I first raised the issue to Roon 6 weeks ago, and the fact my issue is still sitting in the tech review queue, that probably says the priority Roon has given it. 4 weeks ago I also advised Roon support my Dropbox didn’t have the capacity to transfer my 35Gb back-up files, but in the the 3 weeks previous to this thread I received no reply from Roon Support regarding this, and only when Mike stepped into my new thread did it progress (no one had previously told me there were issues with the lack of files I had forwarded to Dropbox at that time).

To tell you the truth my expectations with Roon Support are pretty much rock bottom. If it takes 6 weeks just to progress at standard pace within the queue, then how long is it going to take to complete. Also the lack of communication is a big issue as how are we supposed to know what’s happening if no one within the Roon team lets us know.

Cheers
John

Dropped the “My” in the thread title as G997 advising he/she is also having similar issues with back-up’s

Seems like Roon has way more support cases than they expected and are staffed to handle. Hope they can speed things up a little. I also have an open case with support since September last year, not relating to backup. I’ve heard nothing since October…

Ok

So it turns out that unbeknown to myself Mike and his team have been working on my back-up files since the day they received them last week, and have even got one of the developers having a look also.

When Eric said I’m in the queue it actually turns out I had jumped the queue and work was being carried ASAP after receiving my files.

Good news here…I hope they included my issues also…

My Roon remote locations get slower every day…

@G997

As you haven’t heard anything from Roon yourself, it appears they haven’t included your back-up issues while checking mine.

So the answer from Roon to my back-up issue is that they’ve found some low level corruption in my back-up’s, so this must be caused by my hard drive as most logical answer.

I also asked if they could extract my data (amended Metadata, Bookmarks, Favourites, etc.) from the back-up files to reinsert into my new database and been told no.

So not only have my database back-ups been corrupted, but with no indications this happens at the time will only know when doing a restore. Any data saved with the database back-up’s can’t be extracted, so if you haven’t carried a full database back-up then the info is gone.

I’ll still go with my suggestion at start of this thread and would advise to do a full copy of your database, as no way to know if Roon back-up’s aren’t corrupted until used, and if they are then no way to extract any data.

Your choice what to do, but know which one I’m going with as Roon back-up not reliable in my case.

Cheers
John

Seems like BS to me…so u have a corrupted BU hard drive and I might also?..I bu to a 24 TB NAS. If the HD’s are corrupting the Roon back up database why are all the music files OK???

Seems to me there are big issues in the Roon bu scheme starting with 299 or 300 as well as underlying issues with Roon updates from this point

So I restored my system with a 1/18 BU of build 294…Winner!
Now everything works like its supposed to. Shuffle is fast. Radio selections come up quick and add to queue quickly. No more pops or drop outs in audio. No more beach balls on my MBP/ Roon remote. iPhone app comes up immediately.

BTW, these bu files come from my NAS that also hosts my music files. I don’t think my HD’s are corrupting anything. Maybe my issues aren’t similar to John’s but our symptoms certainly are.

A post was split to a new topic: Trouble with Roon core (PC) - Can’t restore

Well all is not well.

Everything is back to running slow, beach balls on the Mac, iPad Pro hang ups, slow…can anyone please get this fixed?

This is on your Nucleus?

@Danny

Hope you fixed the issues with back-up restore in the new release 1.5.

I still believe it would be prudent for others to do your own full back-up of the database in case the Roon back-up has issues. If the restore doesn’t work properly then no way to recover updated data and will be lost.

Cheers
John

A post was split to a new topic: Issues restoring Roon Database to ROCK NAS