Issues with Roon Update causing frequent interruptions in music playback (ref#61MOET)

Full form submission

What’s happening?

· I'm having trouble playing music

What best describes your playback issue?

· Music stops playing mid-track

Describe the issue

A couple of days ago, I got a message from Roon that an update was available. Never had problems before, but, after installing the update, many problems arose. First: info about my equipment: Mac M3 (2023) running OS Sonoma 14.4.1. Roon Server resides on the Mac. Music files on an outboard hard drive wired into a dock. Dock connected to Mac via Thunderbolt. Now, the problems: Roon stops playing regularly (every 3 or 4 minutes), with a message "Waiting for your Roon Server." It finds the server in a couple of minutes and I hit the "play" button to resume. Repeat ad nauseam. The colored semi-circle at the top right of the app keeps turning, as though it's processing. Doesn't stop. None of this ever happened before this new "Update" was installed. Hence, my conviction that the new Update was flawed

Thank you for getting in touch with us about the issue with your Roon server after the update. I can imagine how disappointing it must be not to be able to listen to your favorite songs. Rest assured, our team is on it and committed to helping you resolve this as quickly as possible. We appreciate your patience!

Let’s get you on a fresh database and see if your issues persist:

• Create a Backup of your current database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “Roon Server” and “Roon”
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “RoonServer_old” and “Roon_old”
  • Reinstall the Roon App from our Downloads Page to generate a new Roon folder
  • Verify if the issue persists on a fresh database before restoring the backup

Let us know the results of this and we will investigate further if needed.

So far, so good. No interruptions.
Q: Where do I put the previous database? What folder?
Q: In the Library folder I no longer see either Roon or Roon Server?
Q: All my Tags have disappeared – perhaps with the previous Database?

I have the same issue with Ubuntu Server since last update. It happens not all the time but relatively often. I use Roon since many years, have nothing changed in configuration.

Navigate to settings → backups in Roon. Then click find backups. That will allow you to look for your backups and select them.

Have you reinstalled Roon yet?

Tags will be restored when you restore your backup.

One step forward; two steps back. By restoring my backup indeed I got my Tags back; however, I also restored the original problem, i.e., music dropping out, “waiting for your Roon Server,” etc.

I will try to go back and re-do all the steps that you suggested yesterday and see what happens.

Bob

I’m sorry to read that the problem reappeared. Do you have any older backups that you can try?

I do, but I don’t want to mess with it anymore today. Tomorrow, perhaps. Went back and did all the things you suggested yesterday, and, again, no sign of this new problem. Thanks.

Yep, found one. But it doesn’t have a database in it. Just numbers, i.e., 00,0a, 0b etc. Where should I put it or SHOULD I put it?

This is what the backups look like. Put it wherever your backup folder is set to in Roon. Then you can go to Settings → Backups and click Browse in Find Backups

Well, Daniel, I threw a bunch of stuff away, reloaded the Roon app, moved an old database into a Roon-related folder, crossed my fingers, rebooted and … things are back to normal !! Tags are in place, and no interruptions in the music. I’m a little stunned, actually, since I don’t recall all the things I did. However, your help was instrumental in all this. I appreciate what you did for me.

I do wish that the folks at Roon had been a bit more careful with the new “upgrade” before sending it out to us. I spent many hours trying to fix a problem that shouldn’t have been present in the first place.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

I’m glad you’re able to enjoy listening to your music again!

I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience or frustration caused by the update experience. I understand the time and effort you invested in resolving the issues encountered and I understand your frustration. The complexity inherent in the various configurations through which Roon can be deployed makes it challenging to conduct exhaustive testing across all permutations. While our Quality Assurance team diligently tests and collaborates with users in early access stages to mitigate potential issues, regrettably, oversights can occur. However, rest assured that our dedicated technical support team is readily available to assist in resolving any challenges encountered and to ensure a smooth experience with Roon. Your patience and understanding as we work through these matters are greatly appreciated, and I remain committed to continually improving our processes to deliver the best possible service to our community.