It’s a little too expensive for me

The $120 is ok, it’s just the Nucleus.

At this point we’re beating a dead horse, it’s just too expensive for me.

Thank you.

The End!

orthogonality

I meant the following sense (#3 below) – I was trying to avoid saying “irrelevant” for fear of offending the posters of 73 posts :slight_smile:

Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.

or·thog·o·nal

(ôr-thŏg′ə-nəl)

adj.

1. Relating to or composed of right angles.

2. Mathematics

a. Of or relating to a matrix whose transpose equals its inverse.

b. Of or relating to a linear transformation that preserves the length of vectors.

3. Very different or unrelated; sharply divergent: “Radical Islamists are ultimately seeking to create something orthogonal to our model of democracy” (Richard A. Clarke).

For any Beatles fans…

And in The End… the Roon you take…

I’m not sure how many times someone needs to say you don’t need a Nucleus. Depending on your computer, that might be all you ever need.

People buy cars. Some pay $15,000 while others pay $115,000. Not everyone needs to spend $115,000 and not everyone complains because there are cars that cost $115,000. They just buy one that cost $15,000.

3 Likes

Doesn’t really matter. Have a good life.

1 Like

You criticise the Nucleus, then go on to say that it’s too expensive:

That’s a bit like me complaining that a Lamborghini can’t clear the speed-bumps down my local roads. And then me going on to say that’s it’s too expensive. To which I’d probably get the reply: ‘Just buy one, or STFU!’

1 Like

No. I mean yeah. But no. It’s probably very much due to the business model giving away something like 40-50% to the distributor and hifi dealer selling it to you. As if the Internet never excited (edit: existed :thinking:). :wink:

The selling price of anything is based on what the market will bear. Roon has determined that people will pay the price of the Nucleus and Nucleus+, so that is the price.

2 Likes

Depends which sites you visit :wink:

3 Likes

Probably just a Freudian slip.

1 Like

Oh, it’s probably my iPhone knowing too
much about me! :thinking:

2 Likes

@JohnD John I asked you to detail your current computer setup - but you have yet to post that I think…if you don’t have a computer at all then maybe this your issue running a roon install with what you have…

As noted many times you dont have to use a Nucleus - just install roon on your existing PC/MAC and see how you go.

If you want dealers to survive, you have to allow them to make a profit. This pays wages, heat, rent, rates, insurance, electric and all the other expenses for times when they don’t sell anything.

The price of everything and the value of nothing.
Yes we have the internet now, but who will be the first to complain when we have no choice, no advice, little service.
If you only want quick and cheap, well that’s all you will have.

1 Like

I was just giving my version of the main reason why I think the Nucleus costs a premium. The dealer angle is besides the point. With that logic you should avoid all “direct to consumer” brands. I just never understood why a software as a service company wanted to step in to the hifi dealer world and not stand on their own legs.

I don’t see the future as “quick and cheap” and nothing else. That’s not how progress is made. Is streaming and digital distribution of music quick and cheap and nothing else? No choices or recommendations?

Ok, I get it now. People need to understand these issues.
I read a lot here and other places of people asking for advice on wether to buy this or that and seem to have no idea dealers exist for this very purpose. Price alone seems high on the priority list. I know price is a major factor.
The idea of an afternoon listening to equipment (For Free) or a home demo seems alien but this is the value a dealer can offer and it’s something we all pay for in the final price.
My advice is, find a dealer and make them work for their money… If they are unwilling or un-helpful, go elsewhere. But building a relationship in any form of business is priceless. I have even done this with my local chip shop and I wager I get more chips than most people who cross the threshold. :joy:

4 Likes

I think it’s perfectly acceptable to have multiple channels of distribution. Everyone in a given channel needs to make an acceptable profit margin.

No, the motherboard of the Nucleus is a standard Intel motherboard, 8th gen currenty I think. The same you’d get in a NUC.

The difference is that the Nucleus is designed to be fanless, and the version of Roon OS that runs a Nucleus has extra functionality to regulate CPU to account for heat in the fanless case. And it interfaces with Control 4.

Well, to put a slightly different spin on Daniel’s reply, the Nucleus Whitepaper from Roon Labs does talk about a “partnership” and a “collaboration” with Intel. My reading of the paper was that this means working with input from Intel’s engineering teams to design the Roon OS for a fanless device using the NUC motherboard

1 Like

It also probably meant a supply of the same model NUC’s for a given time. Note the older Gen A or 1 I forget what they used is a Generation 7 NUC board

1 Like

What you need is an app like Brio from orastreamer or Musicstreamer. Succes!

2 posts were split to a new topic: Is Control4 exclusive to the Nucleus(+)