It’s a little too expensive for me

Thanks, so far so good.

How about find a used NUC, and ask seller to install ROCK. Problem solved. :grinning:

Hi, I installed it on a mini Mac and working fine. I really like it. Thanks

3 Likes

When my Mac goes to sleep, Roon sleeps too and I have to tap the keyboard to wake it up. Is there a way to stop that while allowing the Mac to sleep or do I just have to stop it from sleeping?

Thanks

You can disable sleeping but still allow the screen to be blank or even turn it off. A macmini is pretty easy on power

1 Like

Caffeine (https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/24120/caffeine) or Caffeinated are two programs to keep the Mac awake.

2 Likes

I set my Mac mini to shut down between 23.00 and 07.00 and not sleep when it’s on.

1 Like

You can check this box in the energy saver control panel and the computer will not sleep.

Sheldon

Thanks, I changed some options and it’s ok now.

1 Like

Let me start out by saying thank you to everyone who convinced me to setup a Roon core and helped with questions I had. I had wanted a nucleus but thought is was too expensive. After setting it up and using it for the trial period I have decided not to keep it and subscribe right now. I spend 90% of my time playing ripped cd’s on a usb drive attached to my bluesound node and playing vinyl. The other 10% of the time I play and explore new music from Amazon unlimited which I pay $7.99 a month. I really like Roon, the UI is great and I really like having the ability to play music through my Sonos speakers in different zones. I’ll still be around and when things improve there’s a good chance I’ll be back. I would also like to recommend that Roon publish videos on YouTube on how to use it and get the most out of it.

Thank you, John

5 Likes

John, I’m glad you gave Roon a try.

2 Likes

Users who only have one zone should probably buy Audirvana instead. Roon is overkill for that use case.

What?? Total garbage. Please, any new users showing up here looking for advice just ignore this tripe. Audirvana is worse than UPnP.

3 Likes

Why is Roon overkill?
There is more to Roon than zones. If this is your thought then you may not have used Roon to the full and enjoyed the extensive possibilities to explore your library and the fascinating inter connections possible. Or you may not wish to, which is OK but Roon is so much more than a simple music player.

3 Likes

Exactly. We have two Roon setups (one at our holiday home), each only has one zone, with local ripped files and Qobuz. Not overkill at all.

Michael

2 Likes

Seriously check out Audirvana before you buy a license,

I have tried it and prematurely bought a license, I have really struggled to make it Work across my network, . I just gave up !! The remote struggles to hold a connection

+1 for people not liking Audirvana. I purchased TWO licenses (one Mac, one Windows – never heard back from the developer when I asked if I could switch the first license to the other platform), and found it horrible and never use it. Not disputing @David_Snyder liking it – just saying that I didn’t.

1 Like

Haha…I thought my statement might be a little controversial when I wrote it, but please hear me out.

First, I totally agree with @Chrislayeruk that, “Roon is so much more than a simple music player.” However, I see many people in this forum who only want a simple music player and find that Roon is “a little too expensive” for them. For these people, Audirvana is likely a better fit for their needs and cost expectations than Roon, much as it pains me to say this.

The user interface that Roon provides is miles ahead of Audirvana, and Roon’s licensed, enhanced metadata layers provide multiple views into one’s music collection that are superior to what Audirvana offers. Roon offers live radio stations and much better music discovery tools and DSP. However, both Roon and Audirvana integrate with TIDAL, Quboz and a local library, and they perform the same basic functions for a simple “laptop + USB DAC” setup.

In a simple “laptop + USB DAC” setup, Audirvana sounds better. Depending on the laptop and DAC, it can sound quite a bit better. I almost didn’t buy a Roon subscription because of this. As anyone here who has taken the time to read Roon’s KB article on Sound Quality knows, the reason for this is that “Roon works differently from other software.”

To get the most out of Roon, one must be able/willing to run Core, Outputs, and Controls on physically separate, networked devices. While one can undoubtedly deploy Roon this way for a single zone, many (most?) single-zone folks don’t go to the trouble, and then they hop on this forum and complain that they don’t like how Roon sounds or they object to the price.

I have two music setups. One is for my workplace (which I’ve actually not visited since March) and is composed of a MacBook Pro with USB attached DAC/amp and hard drive with a complete copy of my digital music library. For this system, Audirvana works beautifully. I can stream TIDAL and listen to any music that I own, and it all sounds great. I never use Roon at the office because Audirvana sounds better and because I don’t own the network there, so I can’t deploy Roon properly.

At home, I never use Audirvana. Roon Core runs on a dedicated Intel NUC with a wired network connection. My local library is on a Synology NAS, and, depending on what’s powered on, I have as many as ten different zones, including Sonos devices, Allo USBridge Signature, Raspberry Pi’s running VitOS, DietPi, HiFiBerryOS, and RoPieee, and even a little NanoPi NEO2. Set up properly, Roon looks and sounds better than Audirvana in every way.

At home, Roon is the right tool for the job. At my workplace, it isn’t. Audirvana is a better fit there.

I see lots of threads in this forum started by people who complain about the price or sound quality of Roon relative to alternatives, like Audirvana. If someone has an “Audirvana”-sized use case, Roon is probably never going to be a great fit. They should just buy Audirvana and be happy rather than banging their heads against Roon’s very different paradigm. That’s really all I was trying to say, in far fewer words. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It’s true that I found Audirvana Ok (and much better than iTunes) when I used it for already-tagged AIFF stereo. It was when I tried adding in ripped multichannel music that it was completely unable to catalog anything, get album art, get tracks in the right order… And I wasn’t willing to massage metadata/album art, as Roon just handled everything…

1 Like