It’s a little too expensive for me

Here in South Africa, $120 is R2000. Which is close to what I pay for my car insurance for the year. So Roon might be good value in Britain, but is not when converted to our currency. It would be great if we could have location specific pricing.

Well in Singapore my car insurance is a years worth of roon a month…but it’s all relative I suppose you can make any analogy to other things you like.

We get this same base line topic/comment in new threads all the time… at least have a search for more of the same thing before posting in a new thread…it’s all been said before.

It’s the continuously cropping up of new threads on the same thing (roon’s not value for money/too expensive/etc) that annoys me most (and others I’m sure too) I just wish the TS would do some research before bagging roon about its pricing in yet another thread that clutters up the community.

Maybe I just spend too much time in the community.

1 Like

Hi, I started this thread to comment that the Nucleus was too expensive for me. I hadn’t installed Roon on a NUC or mini Mac because I didn’t want to deal with a multi-function device that needs to be updated constantly in addition to running Roon. I wanted to buy the Nucleus, plug it in and walk away. Since then I have installed it on a mini Mac and I’m using it. Roon is a great product, it will get better with time and like everything else some people will like it and some won’t.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread but it’s time for this thread to end.

Thank you.

6 Likes

Wow, rude.

Seriously, what the heck does “clutter tup the community” mean. Only posts you agree with?

4 Likes

If only it were that simple. Maybe it is.

@moderators?

I can’t afford a Ferrari and I got over fairly quickly as I don’t want one and if I had millions and could afford one, I still would not buy one. Cars don’t really do it for me as I spend a lot of time repairing them.
I did however put myself out to get some great Hi Fi and Roon because music is of value to me.
We all have choices to make and sacrifices too and it took along time for me to achieve my system with plenty of sacrifice on the way.
What’s that great song by the stones again…

1 Like

Roon is well worth $10 per month to me. On the other hand, if I didn’t have $10 per month to spend on this hobby, then yes, it would be too expensive. Each of us have to manage our own financial situation. If I couldn’t afford Roon, I probably would not be posting here.

1 Like

If that’s the case do you think somebody would even know what Roon is? Or care? I have very rich friends I had to convince to get at least a Sonos system, let alone a high end one with Roon. Their priorities are cars and art. Everybody’s value and interests are different. That’s a real straw man argument.

Not at all. There are people who can’t afford $10 per month. But, why would they be here debating if Roon is too expensive. What’s more likely is there are those here who think Roon is not worth $10 per month. That’s an opinion they are entitled to, but I don’t agree. I doubt many of us would pay for Roon if we didn’t think it was worth the price. I paid $500 for Roon to avoid buying a streaming device.

Hey Jim, How do you connect your system to Roon, or does your IA or receiver have an Ethernet connection? My IA doesn’t have an Ethernet connection so I use a bluesound node 2i to connect to the IA.

Thanks

Sorry Steven that wasn’t directed at you - wrong reply button

Despite my terse remarks I stand by them - if this is indeed a place where one can express a reasonable view (its reasonable to me) then I too can express it.

If some find it rude then likewise as you rightly said

Like many things here we try to help people and pointing them away from something they dont or cant seem to see the value of is also a thing.

Wishing @JohnD happiness in his listening for whatever it is he lands on - nothing wrong with Vinyl either - I have a bunch of it and a few TT’s to boot.

I’m done here too

1 Like

I use a Roon Nucleus as my Roon core device. I stream Tidal and Qobuz. My Nucleus is connected to my AT&T U-Verse router using an ethernet connection. I have three Roon endpoints including an Oppo 203 DVD player and two Raspberry Pi 4’s. My Oppo is connected to my Nucleus using HDMI and is also connected to my network using ethernet. So, the Oppo is setup in Roon as two different end-points. I have a Bose system connected to the Oppo by HDMI.

Both of my RPi4’s are running RoPieeeXL. One is connected by ethernet and one is connected by WIFI. The ethernet RPi4 is connected to a Meridian Prime Headphone Amplifier and Power Supply by USB and I use AEON headphones. The WIFI RPi4 uses a USB connected Dragonfly Cobalt and Sony WH-1000XM3 headphones. It is battery powered and used around the house as a portable listening situation.

I agree completely with your assessment. The problem is, people perceive that music player software should be free. Foobar 2000, Music Bee, VLC, and others do the same thing as Roon (play music) and are free. So these people don’t see value in the other things that Roon does that you can’t get for free. We value those other things and are willing to pay for them.

3 Likes

Thanks, I was curious.

2 Likes

@JohnD – congratulations on trying the mac mini. Time will tell if this works well enough to make staying worthwhile (for you). Hope it goes smoothly, and happy listening for as long as you stay!

1 Like

Right, the difference isn’t Roon or not hearing music. The difference is iTunes for free or Roon for $10 a month. I continue to use both, and am happy to pay the $10 a month, but the differences aren’t all that stark for many use cases.

For example the artist view in Roon is generally a waste. Tons of wasted space on pictures that aren’t there or I don’t recognize. The track view is just a complete trainwreck and not worth looking at. The album view is the only one usable and of course filter and focus are lovely.

iTunes (now apple music, but I don’t call it that because it’s totally confusing with the music service of the same name) has roon beat in the song view (with browser) and in the artist view.

I’d argue for me, the two are about a wash in terms of playing an album I want to play. The power of Roon comes in the recommendations, and in the integration of hi-fi streaming services. iTunes has great integration with apple music, but it’s not there in terms of sound quality.

So I can see how a lot of people would say, “This is nice, but not quite worth it”

1 Like

Again, with all you say, it’s not the price, it’s the perceived value. I love Tracks, I click the heart and shuffle through favourites and know I will hear Music I personally chose as a favourite in random order. Any song from there can be the start of a journey through Roon, or not as the case may be. That’s perfect.

Is there a way to make it more dense? One album fills the whole screen and the list of my library will extend to the center of the earth.

It’s tracks, it does what it says, displays all tracks.
You want albums, then they are all there. You can search and Focus in Roon via many parameters like 1970’s 5 start albums in CD quality or anything else. The options are endless.