It‘s been a year... New release anytime soon?

Apart from a sleep timer and the „New Releases for You“ feature there haven‘t been meaningful user-facing additions to Roon in roughly a year while feature requests are piling up. Can we get some reassurance or ideally an update about what‘s going on behind the scenes and if we can expect a major release in 2020?

3 Likes

Nope. Don’t expect and forward info, it’s not Roon’s way

I do agree with you mind, it’s been a while

1 Like

What are they building in there ?

3 Likes

I don’t know what this is supposed to add here @andybob, apart from dropping a hint that you apparently don’t care about a Roon lifetime member’s legitimate concern…

2 Likes

What can I say ? Roon doesn’t publish information about future releases. All will be revealed at some indeterminate future date. Threads like this start up every year. None of them have ever resulted in any further information.

3 Likes

So I have seen… Goes to show that this lack of transparency is frustrating to a lot of users. The Roon team should take the hint.

2 Likes

Very unlikely. They tried providing an estimated date at one point. It was not good. Users counted down, demanded to know exactly why estimates were changing and got themselves all twisted up over nothing.

We’ve paid for updates to the Roon software when they are ready, not for a software development blog.

7 Likes

I’m not asking for dates or a blog. I’d like to know what’s next and primarily see more transparency towards a rough (major) release cadence. No pitch forks for any projected dates that haven’t been communicated.

1 Like

You should have bought a lifetime membership based upon getting 50 years or so of today’s product. If you presumed some built-in rate of improvement in the pricing, then you made a mistake.

Neither you nor I are entitled to anything from Roon other than a sustained delivery of today’s product.

3 Likes

I beg to differ. That’s not what modern SaaS is supposed to be.

1 Like

I don’t. While I get the point of sustained financial support through yearly subscribers, the lifetime members have put a lot of faith into the product early on. Saying the one group is more entitled than the other is a bit unfair but also besides the point.

I’d even go as far as saying I wouldn’t mind paying extra for some of the features deemed “On Roadmap”. If they would ever ship! :weary::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Remote streaming is a marquee request???
Who cares about remote streaming?

3 Likes

You’re the one who suggested it here :wink:

I’d have a problem with that if they weren’t also an extra sub at the current price.

Call it “Roon-on-the-go” if you like. Here’s a completely non-scientific base for my claim of it being near the top of what people care about. Here’s another (the feature requests forum, by number of views).

Why? Because I stated I was a lifetime user? Come on…

Because you stated it like it mattered.

Fair enough. That wasn’t my point.

That’s a creepy little film! All in good fun! :wink:

2 Likes

Hey guys (covers all genders these days) we have a great product now, just enjoy. When an update comes it comes.

2 Likes

When I paid for my lifetime subscription several years ago I wasn’t thinking about future upgrades. I was paying for what it offered at that time. If it never evolves I am still a happy camper.

7 Likes

Remote streaming or Roon Mobile is a very popular feature request. It’s also something the Roon devs have said they want to do. But I still see it as a longer term objective, not something I expect soon.

Given that the devs want to do it, there has to be a pretty good reason why it hasn’t happened yet. I don’t know what that reason is, but suspect that the implementations that Roon have considered with current capability have not provided an acceptable user experience. It may be that running a Core in the cloud is not yet feasible. It may be that mobile devices sufficiently powerful to run a Core are in the future, but not currently widely available. It may be something else entirely or a combination of things, but if it was just a question of development resources then I’d expect to have seen it by now.

1 Like