Jazz groove.org

By the way, one reason I was keen to get the Jazzgroove PLS format working is that is provides the metadata with the stream which I was really keen to have. It’s nice to be able to know what you’re listening to and be able to fetch the album from Qobuz or Tidal.

An update to my earlier comments. Jazzgroove have worked with their tech support team to update and provide a very simple and straigtforward solution. So it’s now a simple matter of copy and paste. Once you go onto the Jazzgroove website, log into your account and click on the “How To Listen” tab and you will see a drop down list with a Roon section which includes step by step instructions. Or if you’re familiar with the process of setting up a subscriber radio stream on Roon using + Add Station section it’s a simple matter of copying the link provided in Jazzgroove and pasting into the add URL in Roon.

Please be aware that the Jazzgroove Roon solution only works for the .pls option from Jazzgroove so don’t select the Jazzgroove URL option. The .pls option provides all you need with FLAC and metadata (artist/album) which should show on your network streaming device if it has appropriate display capabilities.

Jazzgroove is one of the rare Streams that provides Multichannel material (in Mix 1). That sounds great when listening via AppleTV and SampleS, even thought it is mostly upconverted stuff. Sadly it seems not to work in Roon. I tried the Premium+ PLS link but Roon treats it only as a 2 channel stream. Did I make a mistake? Is there a workaround? Given that there is so little Mch material available, it would be sad for Roon not supporting that jewel.

Jazzgroove’s support confirmed that there is no MCh stream option for Roon. For me, the FLAC stream works not very well, it does in my Raspi-Volumio (both Roon server and the Raspi are connected with Ethernet). The AAC256 stream works with Roon.

Thanks @BrianK for your advice on how to stream The Jazz Groove in PLS format. My network streaming devices now display the medadata. However, my Roon remotes (Iphone, Android tablet and Linux Mint Desktop) no longer provide a live link to the artist/album (a very important feature for how I use Roon). Is anyone else finding this? I appreciate that the live link to, in my case Tidal, requires Tidal to have the artist/album in its catalogue but there is no link for even the most popular artists which do feature in Tidal and/or in my own files. On a positive note, I am encountering far less dropouts.

Yes, this is known. Roon are looking into it.

So, for the time being, the Mch stream from Jazzgroove is a so great, I left Roon dormant for a while. I hope Roon catches up eventually playing these Mch streams too…

I’m in discussion with Jazz Groove to see what we can do for native Jazz Groove FLAC streaming to the Lumin product line.

I’m also having serious drop out issues with Jazz Groove in the past couple of weeks. I was typically getting 2-3 dropouts a day but now it’s every few minutes. It’s got so bad I’ve given up on JG for the time being. I don’t know whether it’s a JG issue or Roon but I don’t experience dropouts on any other radio or streaming service (Tidal/Qobuz).

I’m having the same problems here @BrianK. Frustrating because I never had this problem with the $500 Bluesound Node. What are you using for a Roon core? I wonder if it could be my PC that i’ve got running my core… It should be okay - Intel i7-8700 @ 3.19Ghz,16gb.

It was like this when they first made it available on Roon. It was “ok” for a while, dropping about once an hour instead of every few minutes. Now it is back to unlistenable. Too bad, it was very promising.

My Roon core is on a Mac mini M1. I have a separate issue at the moment with Qobuz in that every few days I get network errors which I found I could fix by rebooting the Mac mini which to me suggests a buffer or cache overflow. The JG issue is unfortunate as they are set up to support jazz musicians and their music but the constant dropouts are not something that can be ignored.

Try these:

Just as live metadata returns to our radio streams, Jazz Groove drops out - if your lucky enough to connect in the first instance!

This is done and released in Lumin firmware.

My understanding is that some improvement has been made. Is it better for you now?

Yes I’ve been in contact with JG and they believe they’ve tracked down the issue down to some regional servers. Since then (3-4 days ago) JG via Roon using the PLS stream link has been streaming perfectly fine with no interruptions.

3 Likes

I’ve received a Lumin user inquiry about several Jazz Groove FLAC channels work but several others don’t. This could be a regional server issue that only affects some users.

FYI for anyone happen to be experiencing a similar issue.

To debug this, you need to use a web browser (Note: I use Firefox) on a computer or smartphone. Open the Jazz Groove account settings page and sign in to your Premium account, go to Audio Setting. Choose the FLAC quality, a station you’re having problem with, and Stream URL (not PLS). Copy it to a new browser tab and play it using the browser. If you can reproduce the problematic playback with the computer or smartphone, copy the URL from the browser (it is no longer the same as the one on the Jazz Groove account page because it has already redirected you to a new regional server - you need the final link) to an e-mail.

Once you’ve got the actual final (already redirected) link(s), you can send these links to Jazz Groove support, they’ll forward it to the streaming service provider and fix the problematic regional server.

Hey! Is it working now?
I have had to unsubscribe a couple times in the past because of the lack o metadata first and no connection later.
Thanks!
Javier

Jazz Groove has been steaming well for the last couple of months - metadata is provided and only a very occasional dropout.

Have been encountering issues with connecting to Jazzgroove for the past week or so using the PLS stream for JG #1 and JG #2 streams. When Roon does attempt to connect it takes 20-25secs to connect and often connects momentarily but then loses or drops the connection. Persistent attempts will sometimes succeed but frequently fails.