JBL Control XStream with Chromecast built-in dosent work flawless with roon

Core Machine

• Roon Optimized Core Kit Version 1.8 (build 790)
  • Intel Nuc5i3RYK (8.2016) / 4GB Ram / Ethernet

Network Details

• Router: Fritz!Box 6591 Cable
  • Switch: DLink
  • WLAN: Ubiquiti UniFi AP AC-Lite (newest firmware)

Audio Devices

• JBL Control XStream with Chromecast built-in / WLAN (hier is the Problem)
  • OPPO UDP 205 / Ethernet (works fine)
  • Samsung M20 as remote and endpoint / WLAN (works fine)

Description of Issue

Hello,

my JBL Control XStream are connected to the network via wifi. Roon shows the JBLs as an endpoint (Chromecast). The music playback also works, but it stops every few seconds for a few seconds and then continues. Multiple restart of all devices does not bring any improvement. It makes no difference whether I stream via Tidal or hard drive.

JBL Control XStream (Chromecast) with e.g. TuneIn works perfectly. Spotify connect also works without errors.

Roon, my Oppo and my Samsung also work flawlessly together.

The WLAN connection between JBL and UniFi AP AC-Lite is 99% strong.
There are only 3 meters between the UniFi AC-Lite and the JBL control.

What can I do to make the JBL and Roon work together?

Thanks for your help.
Peter

Ensure you don’t have block lan to wireless multicast on in the Uniif Aps settings. You may need to switch to the old interface to see this setting in the webui to change it. I have a JBL Link20 that i use with Roon and it’s fine and I have Unifi APs. Chromecast though can be odd won’t Unifi and Roon I find.

Hello CrystalGipsy,

thank you for your help. Are my wifi settings OK? Unfortunately, I don’t know my way around …

Peter

I have now created my own WiFi for the JBL.
In this I activated High Performance Devices, Legacy Support and Multicast Enhancement. Let’s see if it helps. I’m grateful for every hiring tip.

Peter

I still have dropouts. Anyone have an idea?

Apologies for the delay, @Peter_Verlsteffen! Our team’s queue is longer than typical at the moment, but we’re working to get back to everyone as quickly as we can.

Are you still seeing issues here?

Do you have any other Chromecast devices? Are they experiencing the same issue as the JBL?

Hello,

yes the problem persists. Unfortunately I only have this one cromecast device.

Peter

Hey @Peter_Verlsteffen,

I am so sorry none of us caught this email thread…we’ve missed on your reply for very long. I am so sorry.

Could you please let us know if this is still an issue? We’d be grateful for the opportunity to help :nerd_face:

Hello,

yes the problem persists.

Peter

Do you get dropouts with any other app to the device, or only Roon? Can you check the processing speed from Roon signal path when playing to the JBL and post your signal path just to rule out if the core is not doing something odd.or is choking on some process.

Does the JBL have 5GHz network support? If it does try changing the Unifi AP network it’s on to 5Ghz only. Do a wireless scan to see if your area is over saturated with other WiFi from neighbours etc. See which channels have less interference and set the AP to use clearer ones. You may find if the WiFi signal is not strong it will lock on to 2.4ghz which is generally over subscribed and can be pretty poor for bandwidth. What’s the UI say the JBl is connected at speed wise and signal strength.

Roon is sending uncompressed audio to your device so it will push any WiFi harder than other apps that might work if it’s borderline whilst Roon may dropout.

Hi @Peter_Verlsteffen,

Please note the exact local time + date when this issue next occurs and the name of the track that was playing and upload your Roon Logs by using these instructions. The best way to get them over to me would be via Dropbox / Google Drive, but if you don’t have either service please let me know and I can provide alternate upload instructions.