JBL speakers legacy/new models

Yes, I am very interested in the M2 that you have but have not found anywhere where I can listen to them. I have ordered the dbx DriveRack PA2 to try it out at home just for fun. Will see what it can bring to my setup. By the way I must say I am very impressed by the m350mk2 and will soon pick up a pair of m355mk2 as well, will report back when I received the parts, is mostly PA stuff I use now, but as I said before I could not imagine that this old PA gear would sound that good. :smiley:

2 Likes

Yes I love the electric music as well and this old gear that I have now seems to have some compensation for this when it was new, (time of my gear) and it paid of for my ears…nowdays it feels like alot like (not all gears) have some compensation for how today’s music is produced and played back

Pro Sound is a great way to achieve excellent sound.
Especially with response and phase EQ.
Higher end pro sound, is typically phase/EQ corrected via FIR OEM filters.

The 4367/M2 for example run the same compression driver D2430K as the VTX line (JBL’s premier Pro Sound Rig). Both also run variations of the same woofer…

For fun, I’m looking to build a set of pro sound cabinets. Components on hand include:
Faital 12pr300’s, Seos 12’s, B&C De250’s.

I’ll likely push minimum phase convolution crossovers via Roon & my motu USB interface.

The idea was to run a sealed mid bass enclosure, EQ response to a circa 80hz crossover and hand bass duties to a pair of 15/18inch JBL differential drive woofers/subs.

1 Like

Pro sound setups love electronic music. Its a match in heaven, IMHO.
Dynamics, low distortion and high SPL.

1 Like

You’ll likely need to find a local mixing studio…

1 Like

I also ordered the waveguides used in the 4430 to try out with my 2417h compressions driver
e9bdceb13bcc972a939b97e654be08b0

2 Likes

With my budget at the moment I find it so amusing to buy this old gear and I am getting very impressed for what I paid for it compared to other gear that cost alot more and is 10-15 years younger

2 Likes

Have you tried th DBX DriveRack PA2?

I am also a big JBL fan!

My first JBL loudspeaker was a DIY with 2x2226 for bass, midrange JBL 2360 with TAD4002 and JBL 077 tweeter.
Later I had a JBL Project K2 (S9500) and now for a few years the JBL Everest II DD66000. All purchased for a fraction of the new price!

A friend (JBL collector) of mine runs a Hardsfield (replica), Paragon (replica), Everest I (DD55000), 4350, 9800, L300 and also S9500 as well as DD66000.
Unbelievable!!! And all are ready to run and play.

I like them all, but each has its own character.
Which one is the best? For me, the Hartsfield and/or the Everest II. The first is more brutal, the second more domesticated.

Have fun with your JBLs!
Dieter

Translated with DeepL Translate: The world's most accurate translator (free version)

3 Likes

No not personally but I’ve used many professional DSP solutions.
Qsys core, Biamp, Symetrix, Powersoft Amplifiers, etc.

I use PC based DSP these days.

1 Like

@Peter_Wallin

I paid for my DD66000 6 years ago a third of the new price That was a bargain, also because it was so to speak in new condition!

My friend paid 10,000 DM for the DD55000 20 years ago. Today he gets offers of more than 10,000 euros. The old stuff from JBL is in good condition almost an investment!
And you’re right: What you get today for 10,000 to 15,000 euros / $ is rather a toy.

3 Likes

I don’t like rap and don’t listen to it. However, there are those that do. I see no reason to insult them.

The waveguide on the 4349 is controlled directivity, using waveguide tech from the M2, a somewhat modern version of the JBL biradial horn/cheeks.

Very different to the 4367 which uses an exponential waveguide.

Exponential waveguides require less filters for extended response, in contrast controlled directivity needs passive filtering or DSP EQ to extend into the high frequencies flat.

Very different beasts.

I have come to appreciate the benefits of controlled directivity in room, the imaging on the M2 waveguide is phenomenal.

I would love to one day DIY a speaker using CD waveguide and a 3.5-4inch dual diaphragm compression which extends to 400-500hz. A wideband from BMS, celestion or B&C dcx464 etc.

2 Likes

Next level…… it’s crazy what these JBL speakers sell for new. About $149,000 in Australia. Depends on finish.

The compression and mid replacement drivers used in this beast, can only be purchased with an OEM serial validation.

Very special drivers. .

1 Like

Any photos of your collection?

1 Like

I have a JBL Link 20 in my kitchen, does that count :grinning:

4 Likes

Love reading about the bigger JBL speakers but never have the room for them unfortunately. Your typo made me laugh though, it is JBL Bi-Radial horn.

Whoops… That must have been an auto correct. Will fix

1 Like

Have anyone here listen to the JBL MD49 ?MD49 | JBL Professional Loudspeakers

1 Like

I meant that the 4349 in my opinion, looks like the 4367’s little brother.

Its interesting to know the differences of the wave guide. I just love the sound from my 4367’s. So i don’t think about those details as much as i should…music starts playing and my feet start tapping. But i probably should know these details.

1 Like