Jitterbug Problem

I got a Jitterbug in today. Thought I give it a try. Setup is:

mid-2009 Macbook Pro hardwired to the network. Using USB -> Peachtree T1 (USB to SPDIF converter) -> Lyngdorf preamp (the digital in). Works great running Roon with the Jitterbug. Both USB and digital cable are DH Labs Silversonics.

When I insert the Jitterbug “no audio device” is found in Roon. Also can’t be seen by the Macbook. Without, both identify the Peachtree with no problem. It’s an easily repeatable problem. The Peachtree is getting power as I can see the blue “on” light each time. Jitterbug seems to be issue.

Anyone else having this behavior?

I’m using 2 AQJB’s on my Mac mini - one on a spare port, and one on the USB cable feeding my Devialet.

While I was messing around working out where to put them, I had a few occasions where the Devialet disappeared as an endpoint in Roon. From memory it was when I used just a single JB (without a USB cable attached) on certain ports. Didn’t fault find long enough though, and have them both back in use and Roon runs fine to the Dev.

Sorry thats not much help, but just to confirm that you’re not alone.

Now, whether they do anything advantageous SQ-wise is another matter… Jury’s still out for me.

Thanks for the reply.

My Macbook doesn’t see anything (endpoint) when the Jitterbug is inserted. I tested the Jitterbug with and without the cable attached, no difference. If the Macbook doesn’t see an endpoint then Roon won’t see it.

I’ve read a variety of opinions on the Jitterbug, pro, con, neutral. Looks like I won’t know!

Now, what to do with a new Jitterbug?

Mmm, maybe its faulty?

If I have time tonight I’ll experiment and report back findings. There’s a bit of discussion about the Jitterbug on Computer Audiophile. If you haven’t explored there, its well worth a try. Report back if you find anything! :smiley:

I also have two (2) AQJBs: One from USB output port #1 on my Mac Mini (mid 2011 Thunderbolt edition, 2.7GHz, i7, 16GB) to Light Harmonic LightSpeed USB cable to Regen to hard adaptor to W4S Dac2 DSDse. Second AQJB in unused USB output port #2 but attached to a MediaBridge 6" extender to AQJB in standalone mode. No issues whatsoever. Are drivers involved in your system? If so, as recommended by John Swenson of UpTone Audio when a Regen is employed and the Dac is no longer seen to reinstall the driver AFTER employing the Regen. Perhaps the sequencing may help your circumstance, or not. Or as one suggested, the AQJB is faulty. Can AudioQuest help you if needed?

Best,
Richard

All good feedback thanks! No drives involved in my system. I did already look at Computer Audiophile, no help. I suspect that the Jitterbug is too new to really have much out there.

Thanks Steve and Richard.

Brian

Excuse me, I meant no drivers involved.

Hello Brian,

I understood what you meant. Sorry for your troubles. I have been a CA member since 2011. Good instincts to go there as often there are relevant posts that can help one another sort out problems. I am either imagining this or just being vague, but at CA there may be posts re; SP/DIF converters and AQJB or Regen. Perhaps as you indicated you have already searched for relevant posts that might help you further, so don’t mind my intrusion. It’s just that the AQJB and SP/DIF sparked something that I thought might need a remedy that works or defeats. Being vague doesn’t help you. Hope this resolves itself. Again, recommend reaching out to AudioQuest. And or, Gordon Rankin the designer posts at CA, rarely. But he responded to my review of the AQJB. Perhaps a PM to him at CA will provide you with relevant support. Mean well in any case.

Best,
Richard

Richard your very helpful! Thanks so much.

Oh, and I have many of your post on CA. Always informative.

Brian

I too have suffered the same problem with AQ Jitterbug pass through to USB connecting to my DAC.

I have a Mac Mini, and run Windows on it using a boot camped partition. One thing you can do is reset I think it’s called the NVRAM. With the mini i shut down the computer and disconnected the power cord to the Mac. You then need to hold the power button for around 5-6 seconds. Connect power cord and reboot the computer as normal. This resets the NVRAM and my computer has been finding my dac, when connected via usb and an AQ Jitterbug, ever since. I think it is also key that you have the dace connected and powered up before rebooting the computer after a reset.

The MacBook is a slightly different process, but if you look across the Apple Support pages you will find the instructions for resetting NVRAM on the Pro

You’re welcome. Ah, thought there might be a connection between us. Sorry for not recognizing you. Good fortune with this matter. I am betting you sort this out soon!
Best,
Richard

Would that be holding Command/Option down and the keys “P” and “R” down during boot up waiting for the first “gong” for the second cycle and then releasing the keys which then leads to the computer booting up, This accomplishes resetting the PRAM. If this is not helpful, nothing negative results. In other words, it couldnt hurt (smile).

Best,
Richard

Tried to restart with the P & R and COMMAND keys pressed. It actually did work… for a while. Lost it within a 5 minutes of boots.

Tweaks shouldn’t be this tough, so I’m just putting it away for now.

As for Roon with out. Well, it’s running headless on the Macbook and my iPad runs reasonably well, I’ll be very happy with setup for a while. I think I’ll take some time and evaluate the SQ vs Sooloos. Initially, Sooloos is better at transients and soundstage. This is huge, but it is discernible, however one has to take into consideration the equipment being used in Roon. It’s all repurposed! I haven’t spent more than $200 tops and stuff and Roon is neck-in-neck in this race.

I can wait to see what manufactures are going to come out with in the next year! I’m going to bide my time and grow slowly with Roon.

Hello Brian,

Just to be clear, you meant the keys, Command plus Option, and not just Command? Correct?
Best,
Richard

Sorry, I misspoke. Yes, Command + Option. My endpoint became visible, but then disappeared. Some how it just wouldn’t stay. I giving the Jitterbug away to a friend. Let’s see what he thinks of it. Better luck then me I hope!

Hello Brian,

Not worth a post to Gordon Jankins, Jr.? Don’t mean to be pushy, but if anyone might have first hand information to support you, it would be the designer. I use two AQJBs, and I have no issues but this with my Mac Mini USB output #1 to Light Harmonic LightSpeed to UpTone Audio’s Regen to hard adaptor to Wyred 4 Sound Dac 2 DSDse. The other in the next USB output over in standalone mode. They made a difference in my experience.

If not worth your time, I understand. Merely seeking to help. Good fortune in any case.

Best,
Richard

Richard, your a very kind and helpful fellow. Actually, no already too busy! However, I have given the Jitterbug away to another audiophile He’ll make good use of it!

Thanks again Richard,

Brian

Of course, I understand. We all want what we told will accomplish to work out of the box. I get the rationale for your decision. By all means go where the energy takes you. Sorry it did not work out. Main thing: Enjoy the music (smile).

Best,
Richard

I have had the same problem with the jitterbug some years ago when it first came to market. IMHO the shittiest product ever made and should come with a warning. In three computers with 4 different dacs only one combinatin worked and made it even sound worse. Send it back for a new one because I thought it was broken, new one did excactly the same. Had a email conversation with AQ about it, they did not want to take it back and confirmed it would not work in some cases, They advised to use a usb hub in between the dac and PC. That worked, and that’s why they sad it worked so they did not wanted to refund. But I don’t want an extra ushub with extra cable in between.

Tried it at a friends place, excactly the same, if we got it to work it sounded plain terrible. With usbhub it worked without only if you are lucky or jusst dull and/or distorted. Bought it together with an Audioquest USB cable of wich one pin in the connector broke after pluggin it in on day two. Never bought anything from Audioquest again and never will, very dissapointed about the quality of their products. I trew it in the garbage bin, together with Audioquests reputation.

I never argue with perception. Sorry your experience was so unpleasant and resulted in no accommodation but under the circumstances, absent a fault in manufacturing of the product, there has to be some responsibility for the purchase decision.
As I previously posted, the several I purchase all worked and their addition was discernible when added. Gordon has a fine reputation, and I can’t imagine the AQJB (my nemonic which amused Rankin) to be a gimmick to take advantage of the gulible or my discernment to be an unfounded expectation as I trust my audio acuity even at my age.
By the same token, I take you at your word(s) that for your application, the results turned into disappointment and a disadvantage.
When I changed all my cabling from Synergistic Research to Nordost I removed the AQJBs to discern what the Heimdall 2 recommended by a friend and a renown engineer, and over the burnin period, which brought discernible changes in SQ, from time to time (for me hundreds of hours), I never returned the AQJBs to my system. I was lent the Nordost by my friend and given the cost of those cables, purchasing them without experiencing them would have been a very painful experience had the result turned out differently. Too bad there’s no way to try out the AQJB unless a friend or a dealer might lend you an AQJB to discover what difference, if any, made the difference.
I am merely posting not to contradict you but to give another perspective to the AQJB and to Mr. Rankin’s dedication to the rendition of high quality audio.
In the meantime, hope you’re enjoying the music.
Best,
Richard