Jriver WDM and Roon - What is it?

Forgive my ignorance, but what exactly is this and why should I use it?
I stumbled across this thread but it is now closed so could not post in it.

I have checked WDM driver in Jriver as per recommendations in the thread above, I can see it under Audio in Roon and have enabled it and then selected it as output but when I try and play music the song starts up but then fails to play as it “failed to initiate the audio device”.

(Forgive me for posting this again here, I’d posted it under the wrong category elsewhere in the Community by mistake)

It is about using JRiver’s software Audio Sound Card as an output from Roon. So basically, you would be sending the output of Roon to JRiver.

As to why? That is a personal question, in the thread referenced the user just wanted things to tinker with. So, I guess if you are that bored it is something to play around with. But, all you are doing is sending Roon’s output through the whole JRiver filtering and upsampling sections, maybe you prefer them?

2 Likes

Is Jriver running? It’s not a separate feature but something built in so the program must be running.

You can use it for tweaking your sound with the DSP of Jriver. I don’t use something so I can’t tell you the differences. But there are common settings so I don’t know if they sound the same.

1 Like

Thanks. I do like the sound of Jriver, but I do also like the Roon presentation so it would be an ideal match. Any ideas how I get it to work though? I’m trying to play back using a Mytek Brooklyn Bridge, using USB from a PC. I can play back to both Roon and Jriver independently using this method, so I’m guessing it is just a setting needing tweaked?

@Panagiotis_Koutris I do have Jriver active, but I also noticed that if Jriver wasnt active that as soon as you hit play on Roon it starts up Jriver when it isn’t active so that’s quite neat.

1 Like

All I did was

1. Make sure Jriver was running
  2. Roon Settings/Audio Enable the JRiver ASIO driver and give it a name
  3. Choose that as the output and play something.

Neat, but, if I’m going through the hassle of sending Roon output to play through some other software I’ll use HQPlayer as that destroys JRiver in SQ, imho of course.

1 Like

I just checked there and noticed as well as the ASIO Jriver there was a WASAPI one as well.
Selected this and it works!!
I also have HQPlayer and do use it back and forward. I’ll do some DSP settings while using the Jriver and see what happens.

2 Likes