Just a Crapshoot on NAS

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Core: Mac OS Catalina, Roon 1.7 build 505
Switch: Netgear
Router: Netgear AX80
Library: Synology DS108 with 10,000 albums

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Netgear AX80 over ethernet

Description Of Issue

Since moving my library to a NAS my Roon experience has been 70% pure frustration. From continual slow library scans to losing all ‘heart’ data and album meta changes being lost. It’s consumed hours and hours of my time over the last few weeks and made my partner hate having to use it.

More details about your CORE specs and Network connection to the NAS and internet please. Sounds like your Core is struggling with the NAS connection and access speeds - why not move the Library back to the Core machine…if it aint broke…

Thanks @wizardofoz. I would love to move it back but i moved it off as i’d maxed the external drive i had it on and it had seized up. I was going to build a nuc with appropriate storage in the new year. I hadn’t considered the connection speed to the NUC so maybe a larger external drive back connect via usb could be the answer for now.

The connection is core and the synology ds108 are both on the same netgear gs108 switch. Which is then connected to the netgear ax80 router.

DAS (Direct Attached Storage) is always going to be faster than NAS and with 10TB drives easily affordable these days a NAS for just music is really not the way to go. But great for a backup that is shared in the household. NUC will at least get you to place where your Mac doesn’t need to be on all the time you want music.

Now this issue of slowness while this old NAS it highly likely to be the major issue here let’s not rule out anything else perhaps.

What is your storage setup in Roon, using SMB etc?

Yes smb to the NAS. I have 3 folders on the NAS that are each set as storage locations in Roon. Not sure of what other data to give??

Hi @Hugo_Sharp,

Can you share a screenshot of Settings > Storage?

When you moved the library did you edit your existing watched folders or did you add these in addition to the existing ones and then remove the existing ones?

Hi @dylan, WHen i moved the library i setup each new folder as copies from the old ones and then updated them to their new location via Edit > Folder > Browse

Everything has been working fine at times since. Once before the meta data was lost but it returned after a night. This time it hasn;t returned yet after a night.

Thanks

Hugo, this may not be related to your issue but I’ve found that MacOS has a nasty habit of loging me in as a guest - even though I have a valid login and the pw is saved in keychain.

Just a thought…

1 Like

Hey Graham, now you mention it, it has been defaulting to a test profile i setup. This could be the issue (though o can’t check until after work now). I didn’t think of it as the bookmarks were still there, i wonder if they’re not profile specific though.
Thanks

Maybe go thru you keychain and remove any incorrect login info for the nas. But roon doesn’t use the keychain for nas logins that I am aware of. This is not a mounted volume in macOS

So for the ‘heart’ data i’m an idiot. Roon had defaulted to a dummy testing profile so there were no ‘hearts’. I’ve now deleted that profile and yes all my metadata is still in the normal profile.

Now just leaves the slow library scanning (but i’ve set that to only scan every 24hrs. Hopefully it’s smart enough to only scan at 1am.

1 Like

Roon may not directly, but SMB does!

I don’t have a directly analogous system - ROCK hardwired ti a 1Gb switch to a 2X1Gb into the (Qnap) - but scanning is brisk. If I go into settings and rescan the appropriate storage after adding, say, an album It comes up within a minute or two at most. And I have a lot of files!

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Core: Mac OS Catalina, Roon 1.7 build 505
Switch: Netgear
Router: Netgear AX80
Library: Synology DS108 with 10,000 albums

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Netgear AX80 over ethernet

Description Of Issue

Since moving my library to a NAS my Roon experience has been way more pain than fun. Literally lost hours and hours waiting for rescans and then fixing metadata changes i’d already made. Currently a library rescan takes up to 4 hours and it’s doing them daily. What are the guidelines for NAS connectivity?

That nas is going to be slow…better to connect the disk directly to your core via usb

10k albums isn’t what I would call a small library so this linked post might contain useful information:

Btw.: Doesn’t this belong to Just a Crapshoot on NAS?

Do you know of any recommendations on when to use NAS vs DAS. Roon pushes you to NAS but it appears severely deficient (to the point of unusable) in certain situations. Would be nice to have a guide to assist.

A single drive nas is just a disk unless you have to use it for other things like file sharing etc. It is ALWAYS better to have media storage on the core machine, even if it’s via USB for Roon