Just Curious: What Proportion of Your Listening is Streaming / Downloads / Physical Media?

In my OP I categorised CDs ripped to Roon as physical media to distinguish from purchased downloads, so I’m guessing this is what John does. Remember, this is what Roon was invented for!

95% local content (= 70% ripped CDs + 25% downloads)
5% physical media
0% streaming

2 Likes

100% streaming (long story)

2 Likes

Yes, I was wondering that too :confused:

Why do any of us use Roon?

1 Like

90% of the time, I listen to my own music collection on my NAS, which is made up of my own CD collection and downloads. So I own a large portion of the music on CD, but do not actually insert CDs. (They are all losslessy ripped to ALAC.) Perhaps 10% of my listening is on Qobuz (Sublime). Once in a while, I buy a turntable (I’ve got about 300 LPs or so) for fun, then sell it again.

2 Likes

DSP to multiple endpoints, RAAT, Music discovery. Multiple user accounts so each user in a household sees their own history, favourites etc.

Some playlists Roon generates from my own library of ripped and purchased music still surprise me with less often heard and forgotten tracks. My NAS has just over 35k tracks, Tidal adds another 10k

2 Likes

Exactly.

And when you compare

To this

Roon wins

1 Like

About 95% local content, 5% physical (vinyl & sacd). Roon is useful if you have 6 endpoints.

3 Likes

I listen mostly Tidal, then ripped CDs an Hi Res downloads from HDtracks.com, Physical media is Vinyls. Hard to say the what the percentage is, but perhaps 85% Tidal, 10% CD-rips and Hi Res downloads and 5% Vinyls. I also use Apple Music, but of course not through Roon. I have a little Walkman to play my ripped cds but I seem to pass it for streaming music through my phone.

1 Like

I already had a large library of CDs (and before then vinyl albums) before the digital era. I have ripped all my CDs and never access them.

I am a subscriber to Qobuz and probably 20% of my listening is to Qobuz, However, if I particularly like an album, I will purchase the digital download. As I am a Qobuz Sublime subscriber, Hi Res is usually cheaper (or only slightly more expensive, than the CD version. However, I do purchase from either stores, depending on price or availability. Including Presto, Chandos, Hyperion, Highresaudio and ZDigital (7Digital). As you may have guessed, my main interest is classical.

I very occasionally buy CDs, but only if I cannot get them as digital downloads. They are ripped and the CDs stored away.

There is no real logic in still wanting a “product” in the form of a digital download, given the quality and reliability of streaming services.

I have a variety of equipment: Devialet, Bluesound Node (as streamer) and more recently KEF LS60 and a Polymojo for my occasional headphone listening at home. All are Roon Ready devices. Indeed I held off purchasing the LS60s until they were Roon Ready and a poly

With Roon ARC, close to 100% of all my music listening is using Roon.

1 Like

Purchased Nucleus initially to store/rip existing CDs as streaming to DAC provides better sound/convenience than my CD player. But Qobuz has been such a great way to hear new music that the 44/16 qty stuff doesn’t get played much. So maybe 10% CD origin files, 30% Qobuz, 50% downloads in Hi Res and 10% vinyl.

1 Like

Streaming service stream the version as contracted from the record companies.

1 Like

Good morning all,

My stats are 99% Tidal and 1% download high rez.

Cheers,

2 Likes

99.9% Streaming; radio and Qobuz.
00.1% Library when the internet is, no was down.

1 Like

85% local, 10% Qobuz, 5% Tidal - same proportion, no matter if working at my home PC or listening in Roon.
At work - 80% tidal, 20% Qobuz - ARC with huge library is so slow that it is waste of my nerves to use it.

2 Likes

Maybe I’m a bit OCD but I kind of wish things like this didn’t exist:

Don’t know for sure and depends on which month you ask me (because it changes with the music I currently listen to) but as a rough guesstimate 40% streaming, 45% ripped CDs, 10% downloads, 5% vinyl.

I purchase downloads mostly because something is not available in any other way, e.g. CD sold out / no 2nd hand. Or because I like something so much that I want my own digital copy and not rely on streaming availability forever, but it’s not so important that I have to have the vinyl or CD

1 Like

I think that depends on one’s attitude to music. If one treats it as ephemeral, to be enjoyed when there, with an acceptance that one day it may not be, then that’s true. However, I value the specific choices I make in relation to the music I listen to, and want to be confident that I can listen to it again tomorrow, next week or in 10 years time. Streaming services don’t offer this (an issue compounded by Roon’s well documented inability to report on vanished albums). So, like you, I tend to purchase the albums I really enjoy.

1 Like

95% streaming (TIDAL)
5% hi-res downloads