Just Curious: What Proportion of Your Listening is Streaming / Downloads / Physical Media?

Yes I am aware of that; I probably didn’t state it as clearly in my response. I have Roon always display my album artwork. Is @Blair_Thornton saying that he does not use his own, and that he prefers Audirvana’s automatic selections over Roon’s?

Yes, and for those users that supply folder.jpg in each folder AND apply proper Metadata artwork to each file, there is NO Global override of Roon’s artwork, only on a hard to find Album basis. Roon gets so much artwork wrong is DISGUSTING.

For most lazy users this is fine, but for audiophiles, it’s a HUGE fail for Roon.

That is not true at all. If it were, I would have considered mental help a long time ago. I am so devoted to only using my own artwork, it’s not funny. And Roon universally uses my very own artwork, with no effort whatsoever.

In Settings > Library > Import Settings, these are my settings, and they work perfectly:

2 Likes

Selecting Prefer file does not always work, and you need to do it for every album Roon gets wrong. I need a global Prefer file and prefer folder option. I refuse to fix 1600 albums because Roon get’s it wrong.

That has not been my experience at all. I even recall, when I started with Roon a couple of years ago, that I could switch between the two modes and do a re-scan, and see the change in results within minutes.

Audirvana only uses your own I believe.

1 Like

There is a global option you have to set it up before importing your files in import settings. If not then you will have to do it per album as it will always use Roons metadata.

No, you do not. A force rescan changes it all, at least in my experience. See my post above. You may have to clear the cache on each remote afterward; I don’t totally recall that. But when I started two years ago, I switched back and forth with reckless abandon while exploring this. And I had probably 4,000 albums or so at the time.

3 Likes

Thanks, I will try what you suggest. That would save alot of stress.

[update] Your suggestion helped fix alot of the artwork, so thank you !!!

… but Roon still didn’t read artwork from all files. Roon still screws up artwork.

With a re-scan Roon picks artwork from folder.jpg before trying the embedded artwork in the file. FAIL.

This is still wrong:

Ah yes forgot about that I did it when I changed all my genres to Roons as not all my files had good genre metadata took a long time. It took a long time to process.

Cool. Remember, too, I am the crazy guy who seems to evangelize Roon on NAS all the time and my Roon Server has 100% local access to all my files on a fast RAID configuration, so maybe my mileage in regard to speed has an unfair advantage? I dunno. Just sharing my own experience.

Local art rules. I also enjoy contributing to Albumartexchange

I am glad it fixed a lot. It should fix the whole thing, eventually, I would believe. Some large files that take a while to process may take a while to catch up, I suppose.

I might recommend clearing your local Roon cache and restarting, and if that doesn’t work, checking to see if you may have in the past changed the setting on that album manually, back-and-forth.

THANK YOU so much. Most of my artwork is correct again ! Not all however.
Roon still sucks sucks when it comes to artwork and playlists. These are basic functions they should have nailed by now but don’t.

Another thing is to go back into the albums that don’t seem to be working, and check to see if you have multiple versions of album artwork embedded by accident. I have done this before, much to my chagrin. :slight_smile: Roon will only show one of the embedded covers, and it might not be the one you want…then do another force rescan.

I will check, but I am strict NEVER to have multiple copies. I always trash lower res files. I am stupidly anal about artwork, multiple copies and bit-depth. Thanks.

1 Like

Hahah well me too, but sometimes the software has a bug (I’ve had this with 2 different programs recently) and it leaves a copy in there…

I will always use Audirvana to make playlists. Roon does not get playlists right and I fear never will.

1 Like

I agree. I use Synology Audio Station and have Roon import those during a scan. The same playlists then serve two systems simultaneously.

1 Like

I’ve currently got 5,910 albums in my library. 1,994 are cd rips or downloads. The remainder are Qobuz. I add music nearly every day and I use a bookmarked focus so that I only play tracks that I’ve never played before. Unless I want to listen to an old favorite which I do occasionally. Many of my music recommendations come from this forum. Thanks guys. You have enriched my life.

1 Like