Just got started on 14 days trial, few questions please

Super. Thank you.

The export to Excel will work for me, to at least keep at hand such list.

And looking forward to future enhancements in this area.

I’m getting close to pulling the trigger on Lifetime Membership! :slight_smile:

Seems like once you used Roon, hard to go back to anything else, and everything else seem, well…

2 Likes

Hello, a quick trial-exiting question for the experts.

My current setup thus far with Roon and HQPlayer is,

Windows 10 laptop -->> Roon (core) -->> HQPlayer (localhost) DSD256 over ASIO -->> OPPO HA-1

I don’t mind this setup, but i really, really would like to get off the Windows and move over to Mac Mini.

And there was looking into using microRendu, since Mac lacks ASIO to drive native DSD256.

So, the setup i had in mind going forward is,

Mac mini -->> Roon (core) -->> HQPlayer (localhost) -->> NAA microRendu DSD256 --> OPPO HA-1

Downside of this is, i need to buy HQPlayer to run on Mac OS.

And obviously extra hop from HQPlayer to the OPPO HA-1, via the NAA.

I’ve done some reading this weekend, and use of NAA over microRendu with HQPlayer seems to have overall a positive results.

I just wished there was native DSD256 over ASIO on Mac OS that can be used with OPPO HA-1, but i’m just not finding any workable solution there, and prefer to not go over the DoP.

Anyway, thought i would ask here in Roon forum to see if anyone has, is current doing something like above, using Roon on Mac Mini to the HQPlayer and to microRendu.

Thanks much!

I do that with a Gigabyte i7 4500H BRIX rather than a MacMini. I mainly upsample local and Tidal Redbook to DSD128 in HQP, closed-form, ASDM 7, apply room EQ convolution and send it to a mR with an LPS-1 UtraCaps PS. I have to turn on Pipeline SDM or I get some stuttering. What kind of CPU are you looking at in the MacMini ?

Okay, thanks.

So, my “current” mac mini is bit old(er), spec’ed as follows,

• Mid 2011 version
  • 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5
  • 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
  • Graphics: AMD Radeon HD <<------ no Nvidia, so no CUDA offoad for HQP, like i can with my Windows 10 laptop,
  • OS X Yosemite version 10.10.5

I’ve heard of GIGABYTE desktop mini PC. I’ll look into this some more. I’m certainly not tied to using Mac Mini. Perhaps what i should have stated was, i wanted to get away from using this laptop and instead to a “dedicated” desktop “mini” machine (mac or PC. And before finding Roon and HQPlayer, was using Audirvana Plus on this Mac Mini, hence thought perhaps i can just consolidate the audio software (Roon and HQPlayer) to run on this Mac Mini. And use NAA like mR to drive the OPPO HA-1 DAC over the network.

I’m going to do some research into GIGABYTE i7 based options.

But one thing for sure is i did not wanted to continue using USB attached to PC (or Mac Mini) as the digital audio output, hence the use of MR to drive my OPPO HA-1 DAC from the network.

Of course, spending ~$700 for mR and another ~$400 for LPS-1, without even hearing first hand what mR will bring over the USB attached to PC (or Mac Mini) sounds absurd.

But from what i’ve read so far, using dedicated USB output for highres digital audio from such NAA device as mR with better tuned USB output, seems like the reasonable upgrade over PC/Mac MINI USB output, even if i’m using currently the AQ USB Jitterbug plugs.

Also, your mention of LPS-1, that pretty sealed the deal for me (as i was mulling over whether to go with IFI or LPS-1 power supply), that i should not go with the IFI power supply that can be bought with the mR.

Why the concerns with DoP?

See this?

I don’t think there is anything wrong with DoP, to say it’s good or bad.

In my application, DoP does not seem to be compatible to drive DSD256 at OPPO HA-1.

Only the native DSD256 seems to be allowed to go through OPPO HA-1. Oh well…

So, knowing that (limitation, constraint) i’m left with following choises,

a) ASIO on Windows for native DSD256,
b) something else, <<---------------- eg. mR,
c) Mac with up to DSD128 native, and PCM as usual, <<-------- i was living in this space, until i found Roon and HQP,

But i saved the best for last!

Started my Roon lifetime membership today:slight_smile:

Was bit bumpy at start, but the kind folks on this forum, and Roon support guided me through.

And just placed my order for mR. And since this is starting to break my bank (no one said audiophile hobby was going to be cheap i suppose), starting out with ifi ipower unit.

Anyway, thanks guys for all the help thus far, and exiting the n00b status… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Great welcome. Best investment you can make for enjoying the music. :+1:

1 Like

Welcome to the lifetime club !