Just ordered a pi2aes

On the weird & embarrassing front, I was comparing Unison USB from the Pi board of the Pi2AES vs AES for a while and had both connected for a quick & dirty A/B, and then ended up leaving it on USB for a few weeks without realizing. I will say that I find AES narrowly preferable but worth it.

1 Like

hi Johnny,
i am using same pi2aes with rme adi-2 dac. and i use pi 4 as streamer to read my nas files.
it is geat so far.
but when i find roon and i try , but find that it is not working even i install roon bride in the pi2 moode audio.
i will be appreaciated if you can solve my problem/ or tell me how do you use Roon with your Pi2aes hat to the raspberry PI.
thanks

i use my moode audio 8.1.2 and it works great on my Pi3b 1gb with a Pi2AES hat using its coxial outout to rme-adi-2 dac fs.

as a try, i installed roon render in the pi3 and use roon control core and choose above said hat but output is nothing. i can read from roon control app that the roon endpoint is working and also the moode-ip,which used to show the playback scress shows roon end ponited connted and there is another button ā€œdisconnectā€, i can assump that the roon endpoint is working on the PI3+ but i did not know if this is beause the Pi HAT does not support?

but when i use USB connect to the dacā€”and choose options from Pi2AES to none which makes the PI as only a streamer while somehowā€“by pass the PI2AEShat, it works and can receive and output music from ROON.

please if you know what is the reason? please let me know. and how to solve it?

Hi-

I think youā€™re in luck because @Michael_Kelly1 is the creator of the Pi2AES and heā€™s on these forums from time to time, and if heā€™s feeling generous I think heā€™ll do a much better job than I will trying to troubleshoot. Good luck!

John

hi johnny,
thank you for your reply.
how i wish MIchael might see my postā€¦since i did not post a new post regaring this issue.

Paging @Michael_Kelly1 Paging @Michael_Kelly

Maybe he will.

also. @Chaoguo_Wu I will say that I use RopieeXL on my Pi2AES, never used anything else, and it works flawlessly on both AES and USB (which I use at different times for different DACs, I prefer one with one and one with the other). So I think you may really be having a software issue that might be healed by using a different install. While I sure canā€™t speak for everyone, I will say that thereā€™s a generally strong experience around Ropieee and strong support from the author of the software including frequent updates for particular configs. So I might suggest trying https://ropieee.org/ unless you have a strong reason to pick a different endpoint software. And then if there is a reason why the hardware has an issue youā€™ll have a better support mechanism for troubleshooting (and I personally think more reliable software). For me, the ability to use Librespot and occasionally let guests use Spotify to control my main rig is a bonus on top of being able to reliably use it as a Roon endpoint.

I though about it. Now it sold out and used are extremely expensive in Europe. I donā€™t like chinese electronics but Munich M1T which as we can see uses RPi has similar quality I guess and is quite cheap in Europe. But I trust company which produces network switches for audiophiles :slight_smile:
I hopie AES will be more and more popular - for the time being I will send analog to Genelec

As itā€™s a standard Pi in the box, I wonder what they did to the special ā€USB Audioā€ usb port?

If itā€™s anything like what they do to a basic Zyxel switch to convert it to a Bonn8, Iā€™d wager not a single thingā€¦

1 Like

To be fair, the mercury and the pi2 lite and the original pi2aes are basically hats sitting on top of RPis, and unapologetically so. If you donā€™t know about the SBAF content on @Michael_Kelly1 and his great but straightforward and fully presented engineering, I think youā€™d find it simpatico. Impressions, how-to for the original DIY Pi2AES with lots of explanations of why AES works better, not a lot of LPS driving the Pi portion faffery. The more recent versions are more pre-assembled, better case / more consumer-friendly versions of the OG.

I have no issue with the Pi2AES, my comment was in respect of the Silent Angel M1T.

2 Likes

hi Johnny,
thank you for your kind advice.
i will try ropiee as an end point then.

you are very kind