Keep albums in library if they become unavailable on streaming services

From searching around the forum, it seems that when an album becomes unavailable on Tidal/Qobuz, it disappears from Roon as well. I think one of the main benefits of Roon is that you curate your own library independently of what the streaming services offer - they come and go along with their catalogs.

If Tidal deletes an album from their catalog, I don’t want to lose the information that this album is in my library. I’d like to see that the album is unavailable on Tidal and that I should probably buy it instead. Or at least get notified when this happens. If the album disappears completely, I have no way of knowing that it is missing. With big libraries, this is scary, as you never have any certainty, apart from your local files.

Knowing which albums I added, which tracks I liked, seeing play counts etc is extremely valuable to me and it seems this feature shouldn’t be that difficult to add, since Roon has its own database.

I agree with you and this issue has been reported for tens of times already.

Note that in most cases you don’t need to buy an album that suddenly became unavailable. In most cases, just licensing deals changed and the album still exists, but under a different ID.

This is the most annoying Roon feature.

3 Likes

Yeah, but if one made edits to the album, they can’t be transferred to the new version of the album and have to be redone all over again. There are tons of reports and several feature requests about this as well, as I’m sure your are aware :slight_smile:

Seems like the Roon devs are aware of it too, but ~5 years on and the issue still exists :frowning:

Having a reliable catalogue / library outside of a given streaming service seems like one of the key features of Roon. Not only do you lose any metadata or edits you have manually made, but it also causes havoc with user generated playlists.

Fair enough if the track gets removed from or replaced by a streaming service — that’s outside Roon control. But at least let me view those ‘dead’ or ‘replaced’ albums in Roon and let me fix them manually (in one or two clicks) or ideally automatically.